Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another "wheel obsession" post for the addicts among us

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:44 pm

As posted elsewhere I'm still addicted to trawling eBay for wheels, despite having bought (and had refurb'd....) a third set earlier this year. :headbang:

This morning I found these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384105832789

Right size, width, and inset. Right number of spokes..... And a very decent all-in price. I'm very tempted. :roll:
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 pm

I'd buy those in a heartbeat. Classic design, simple easy to clean and cheap!

But they will probably attract duty and possibly VAT :o

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:37 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 pmBut they will probably attract duty and possibly VAT :o
I thought that at the time. Since your post I've tried to find some info, but all I can see for certain is that German VAT is 19%. Nothing on gov.uk in terms of hard figures. A UK retailer has a set for £699 all-in, but they are the wrong inset. I wonder if all the import fees/taxes would be in excess of £250?
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:24 am

I bought something from Poland £200 worth without thinking about import tax.
The seller sent it with ups and did all the paperwork i got 3 or 4 bits of paper with it but no duty to pay but as said more paperwork than normal and that was through eBay.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:48 am

eBay has it's global shipping program, sometimes with laughable 'shipping' costs, but I assume in some cases that includes duties etc, it ought to based on the prices.

I often buy inexpensive items that catch my eye, it's not until checkout that I sometimes notice VAT has been added by eBay, post Brexit care is needed when committing to buy from outside of the UK

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pm

I really should let common sense prevail. I haven't seen what the Borbet 5-spokes look like on the car yet - I might not like the look.

You never know, if I hold-off long enough the sterling-euro exchange rate might improve in my favour. I have imported high-value stuff before - a glass sunroof panel for my E30 - but that was probably 15 years ago and from the USA. IIRC, at that time I paid roughly 20% of the invoice value in import duty and VAT, but the exchange rate was nearly $2/£1. :D

I must get my finger out and advertise the Style 305s................

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:47 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pmI really should let common sense prevail. I haven't seen what the Borbet 5-spokes look like on the car yet - I might not like the look.
I hadn't planned on putting the Borbets on the car until mid-November, but I have a couple of free days next week and I think I'll have to do it then. I've found yet another set of nice looking 5-spokes, brand new, correct dimensions, decent price, UK-located (but nearly 400 miles away and collect only), and I'm having severe difficulty holding-off............ Particularly because I'll be passing within 120 miles of them in a few weeks. :o

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:16 am

As you know I suffer the same addiction, chunks of round alloy :oops:

I posted elsewhere that I've committed to a set of these, (set #4 :? ) they're painted which looks sharp, all 10" for square set winter tyres, so I'll need spacers and spigots for the rear axle. For an additional £120 I could have them in black gloss? The car was built with silver painted wheels though, so wouldn't look wrong, it's just had black wheels on it now for some time and I'm used to and like the look.

The existing winter use rims I've also posted about previously, they're type 300 staggered (same as the summer set) with 285/ 40 Scorpion Winter all round. Once the tyre swap is completed the second set of type 300s will have staggered Vredestein all weather rubber, assuming they're affordable at the time. Prices have climbed steadily this year.

Its a bad addiction though not endangering my heath. I can think of much worse, and more expensive :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20220708-142838_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220708-142838_eBay.jpg (141.65 KiB) Viewed 900 times

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:41 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:47 am
StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pmI really should let common sense prevail. I haven't seen what the Borbet 5-spokes look like on the car yet - I might not like the look.
I hadn't planned on putting the Borbets on the car until mid-November, but I have a couple of free days next week and I think I'll have to do it then.
Well, I got the 304s off, cleaned the calipers and fitted the Borbets......... And then the heavens opened, so no pics yet because the car needs a decent wash. Maybe tomorrow.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:30 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:41 pmWell, I got the 304s off, cleaned the calipers and fitted the Borbets.........
F25 2022 summer 2.JPG
F25 2022 summer 2.JPG (148.28 KiB) Viewed 827 times
I think common-sense-time is finally upon me. I'm going to have the tyres off the Style 304s and get them fitted to the silver 305s, to keep for emergencies. I'll put the 304s on eBay as bare wheels, because that way they are easier to get couriered.

Then, no more wheels. .........Not even the rather nice brand new set of Talig 5-spokes I've seen for sale down in Devon. :(
The Borbets and 305s are plenty, if I'm totally honest. I just need to keep using that phrase as a mantra. :lol:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Those look good to me 8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:58 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:30 pmI think common-sense-time is finally upon me.
That ^^^ should be "I would like to think........."
StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:30 pmThen, no more wheels. .........Not even the rather nice brand new set of Talig 5-spokes I've seen for sale down in Devon. :(
The Borbets and 305s are plenty, if I'm totally honest. I just need to keep using that phrase as a mantra. :lol:
The 304s, minus the tyres, went yesterday. :D .........And what was one of the first things I did?.......... Window-shopping on eBay, for wheels. Shockingly, the brand new Taligs (which I had already talked myself out of......) have been relisted for £125 more than he was asking when I first saw them. :o
The 305s now have the Avon summer tyres on and will be staying silver. I might put them on the car for a few months next year, just to get a bit more use out of the tyres - they still have about 4.5mm on.