Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LCI Headlight Washer Jet Troubleshooting

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
EarlOfEasycore

Post by EarlOfEasycore » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:50 pm

So my LCI came factory fitted with Xenons, so I fully expected my headlight washer to be fully functional. I assume they're factory fit since I'm getting a nice 5000K colour and only the outermost projector lights are illuminated, flicking between low to high beam. Nothing was flagged up during its last MOT.

Basically, I've got my headlight switch in the dipped position and you pull the windscreen washer stalk towards you. Windshield nozzle sprays fine and I've let it cycle for about 10 sweeps, however the headlight jets don't extend from the front bumper and spray within the time period.

I've changed washer pumps before on my wife's R60 Countryman, so I suspect both pumps/sprayers will need replacing in this instance.

I gather a standard OBDII reader won't help troubleshoot this? Nothing is coming up on the vehicle computer.

Trying to pry the washer jet cover open with a guitar pick was also unsuccessful (assuming I'd need to detach it from the extended jet). I just find it weird that nothing happens on the headlight front. Rear screen washer works fine, so I don't think it's an issue with supply.

Answers on a postcard please! Cheers

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:02 pm

From memory, BMW software only operates the head light wash every so many screen wash cycles, there is a note in the owners manual about it I think. Around every 4 or 5 activations of the screen wash or thereabouts.

EarlOfEasycore

Post by EarlOfEasycore » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:22 pm

Brill... I did query this with a few guys on socials with E70s and other BMW's and that's what they confirmed. I didn't want to unnecessarily tear down the arch liners to confirm something that didn't need doing. Cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:33 pm

The inner lights are just for show to maintain the BMW ‘face’, they are non functional. An electric shutter moves between low & high, hence no flag on the MOT.

Check the fuses and power feeds to the units and pump.

If you do need to get to them you need to remove the front bumper trim and then…..the special tool is a guitar pick! If they’re not moving that suggests corroded shut as the should pull open as it’s only water pressure that forces them open - supplied by the high pressure pump.

Black gunk seen by others in the tank could also be an issue at the nozzles.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

libra007

Post by libra007 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:37 pm

Recently replaced the windscreen washer pump as it stopped working, as shown above, all washers has separate pumps as they share the tank but not run at same time. worth just replacing the front washer pump if you dont hear the sound of pump running for lights at all.