Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Today I…

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Today I…

Post by Themoog2 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:18 pm

Got a good deal on E53 4.6 front and rear bumpers…
You may think “why?”- so let me explain.
A few weeks ago I drove to a local classic/ unusual car meet which happens on the first Friday every month. It’s at Barrington just outside Cambridge. I highly recommend it as it’s just a come and go gathering with some cars you forgot actually existed.
So, I turn up and park so I can go and have a potter. After 20 min or so I happen to notice people actually looking over the X5 - like it’s there as a show car. It is in really good condition but come on.. but it is 21 yrs old and a lot of the cars there are newer than mine anyway.
Now, having diagnosed the odd vibration in mine which is fixable It’s given me a fresh perspective instead of ‘this is doing my head in , let’s just get another car’.

I’ve been searching for a good 4.6 in Titan silver with for years and have missed out twice (on the same car I believe) by hours. That particular vehicle had red leather which I really wanted. My 4.4 is Titan with black leather so that’s ok. I nearly had a black one but in black I don’t think the extra body parts show up as good - just my opinion.
Anyway, having looked at loads of X5’s I’ve given up and decided as a project, to make mine look like a 4.6.
I’m running out of projects on the house now my pub is finished so I’m moving on to the car..
To make this happen I’ll need the front and rear spoilers (got - original), the flare add on parts to the arch trims (got a deal in progress I hope), a set of exhaust pipes ( I may go custom yet but still with massive oval ends) and a set of 5 spoke alloys from a 4.6.
The wheels are tricky to get hold off and I’m not paying through the nose but they have to be staggered as I want the massive beer barrel look at the back.
So there you go. If anyone has some of the bits and bobs I’m after please pm me. I’m not in a hurry as I want to gather what’s needed then build it all up.
Comments please.. Am I going mad?

StuBeeDoo

Today I…

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:12 pm

Themoog2 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:18 pmAm I going mad?
No more so than the likes of me. Have you seen my musings on styles and colours of wheels??? :o :roll: :rofl:
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Today I…

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:56 pm

I had the arch trims on my 4.4 with the type 87 wheels. As it was black anyway I never really fussed on the bumpers.

As to the exhaust, four pipes beats two any day, regardless of shape 😁

Themoog2

Today I…

Post by Themoog2 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 pm

Hmm. I do like the big oval tailpipes but they are still quad pipes inside I think. Type 87 wheels- that’s the ones I’m after.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Today I…

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 pm

The guy who was once a member here and bought my 4.4, had apparently acquired a 4.6i exhaust but never fitted it before he sold the car on again, i think that was for sale here but a long time ago now 🤔

The phat ass look really suited it, i still miss the V8 growl. As quick as my X6 is its not the same noise.
Attachments
JPEG_20220731_104059_3552894360248674288.jpg
JPEG_20220731_104059_3552894360248674288.jpg (159.64 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Last edited by sapphireblack on Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Themoog2

Today I…

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:23 pm

.. I bought another car.. When I get it back I'll let on.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Today I…

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:27 am

The obvious, though maybe inaccurate conclusion is, you finally bought a 4.6i :)

But then you've flirted with Cayenne too iirc? I have a Cayenne sibling here in Greece, lowly spec engine which suits my life when here (50kph speed limit) but really high build spec.. Everything is electric, including seat-belt height adjustment, something the X6 doesn't have.

If you reveal a Cayenne, I'd suggest you'll be very happy with it. The Touareg is an accomplished bit of kit despite its age, the Porsche will doubtless be better still.
Attachments
20220628_122150.jpg
20220628_122150.jpg (153.35 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Greydog

Today I…

Post by Greydog » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am

Hi Moog
I have a set of type 87 wheels and tyres that are not used if your interested

Dave

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Today I…

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 pm

Well, what is it ?

Themoog2

Today I…

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:50 am

Well it's a damaged repair late E53 Le Man's with all the stuff on I'm after. I just need to get it to my drive so I can dismantle it.
As for Cayennes - I've had one a few years back and have looked at a few but I've gone off them at the moment.

Themoog2

Today I…

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:11 am

Ok. It’s been a while cause I’ve been away but I have finally got the other X5 on the drive. Bodywork all round is ok apart from the n/s front corner bumper and wing. Fortunately the black wheel arch trim has survived… The 3.0d fires up instantly and idles really smooth - there is 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it too. Bonus. The 20” alloys and tyres are way better than I expected so that’s good.
It has a funny sunroof that I haven’t seen before (unless it’s a pano roof and I’ve never noticed) . The front part of the roof works but the rear bit is stuck in the flip up open position. Both door mirrors are smashed too but that’s about it.
I don’t think the transmission is at fault with it as it makes an awful grinding noise when in drive or reverse but it seems to shift gears ok. My scanner showed two faults- 4F7A EGS: signal from transfer box is faulty and 51AD EGS: no message from dynamic stability control.
The other fault codes were just glow plugs.
If anyone can shed any light on the codes please do so. I’m hoping it’s stripped splines in the front driveshaft as that’s easy to fix.
Comments please.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (221.91 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (235.82 KiB) Viewed 1046 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Today I…

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:24 am

I'm confused as to the plan ahead.

Restore / overhaul the new acquisition or still pilfer it for parts ?

(I really do like those five spokes, a firm favourite, look great and so easy to clean)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Today I…

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:47 am

The first error code comes up exactly as you wrote with no other info. On line search suggests the plastic gear in the transfer case has gone.

The second code reports: 51AD No message, receiver EGS, transmitter DSC. Transmission control

That’s all that shows. On line search suggest that it could either be the scanner can’t talk to the DSC system or a suggestion is there’s an issue with the ABS/DSC control on the ABS module itself. Worth checking the wiring. If that’s intact, you may need to send the ABS module away for repair. In itself the ABS may be fine, just not talking to anything.

Sunroof failures are very common on E53s. A white metal casting shears and it can be fixed so that the rear panel drops but is fixed in place. It’s been on the forum in the past, or possibly have a look on Xoutpost in the US. The proper fix is a new sunroof cassette!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Themoog2

Today I…

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:31 pm

The plan ahead is to swap the wheels, the wheel arch flares, the tinted glass that’s easy to take out and maybe a few other bits from the blue one to mine. Attempt to get the blue one moving then just sell it as it is. I don’t want it on the drive very long. And if I can shut the roof that would be good..
What does the plastic gear in the transfer case do? My 01 doesn’t have that. The noise it makes does not sound like plastic that’s for sure. It grinds in drive or reverse with my foot on the brake. I’m going underneath later to check the front driveshaft.
Last edited by Themoog2 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Today I…

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:36 pm

If you're only taking what's mentioned, you must have got that for a really good deal :thumbsup: