Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Waterless wash

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Waterless wash

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:01 pm

I bought some Dirtbusters waterless wash & wax quite some time ago but, up to now, I've only used it for doing the door-shuts after a "proper" wash. As we've been bombarded with threats of hosepipe bans (although that's not happened here - yet....) I've decided to stop procrastinating and give it a go on the full car.

I've watched plenty of videos on YouTube, but am still somewhat apprehensive of what the outcome will be for my car. I'll update when I've done it - either tomorrow or Friday morning.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Waterless wash

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:51 am

I bought some 4 or 5 years ago but never used it.
The way i looked at it was you would be rubbing the dirt and causing swirls but l am over thinking it i think.
Will be waiting for your update.

StuBeeDoo

Waterless wash

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:33 am

Alan Gunn wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:51 amThe way i looked at it was you would be rubbing the dirt and causing swirls but l am over thinking it i think
This ^^^ is me too. I was going to have a go this morning, but I'm still uncertain. I noticed there are bird droppings on the car, and that is holding me back from the waterless malarky as well. :roll: If I don't do it early tomorrow morning, I'll have to get the local Latvians to wash it for me, because I need it clean for tomorrow lunchtime.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Waterless wash

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:26 am

Well, I did it this morning. I think I need to work on my technique, but it did get the bird droppings and dead insects off remarkably easily. I probably would do it again - particularly if we get a hosepipe ban - but I still think you can't beat water, buckets, drying towels etc, etc.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Waterless wash

Post by pvr » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:20 pm

I think X5Sport did the same as me in 2012, i.e. bought a pump for the rainwater. I have collected a lot of water (unlike the water companies) when it rained a month or so ago, and have a filter in place so can continue to use a hose with the pump in the clean water supply.

Not sure if the helicopters that no doubt will be patrolling again, will be able to tell the difference though ....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Waterless wash

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:38 pm

Still got the pump and the tank……just need the water :(. Used over 400 litres of stored and got very little left now. Plants are taking a lot!

It’s a Karcher submersible if anyone’s interested in getting their own. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karcher-SBP-38 ... C80&sr=1-1
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Waterless wash

Post by pvr » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:01 pm

That is ok, it will be raining on monday and even though it is the wrong type of rain, your tank will be full up again :D

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Waterless wash

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:57 am

Not even sure if we have a hosepipe ban or not on Anglesey lol.