Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New hopefully minor issue washer jets....

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:57 pm

Seem to be blocked the smallest dribble is visible at the jet nozzle, pump is fine.

Another long term "parked car" issue I suspect. Only use BMW fluid but its not been used in over six months, hopefully its just blocked somewhere (where?) anyone any pointers where to start.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:11 pm

Are the arms extending out? They’re powered by the water pressure (against a spring) from the pump so could be a blocked filter? If memory serves it’s where the pump is located. On mine that’s within the offside wheel arch.

It may be a case of running them a few times and see if it washes through. You can carefully ease the jet nozzle out, I had to do the same on the E46 when they froze shut and the pump created enough force the break the trim covers clean off! Worth a try - you need a thin plastic trim wedge.

The BMW fluid contains alcohol and that evaporates allowing gunge to develop in the tank. A higher percentage fluid/water mix may be needed due to having the car idle for 6 months.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:24 pm

The jets have arms that extend? I'll have to have a thorough look and maybe run the pump constantly for a few seconds rather than a quick flick of the stalk. :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:58 pm

Headlight washers? - are you having trouble with those or the windscreen? I mistakenly assumed ‘jets’ as the headlights as the windscreen ones are less powerful. Trying to solve the wrong issue :rofl:

The issue could still be filters.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:12 pm

Headlamps AFAIK, are OK there's water spray traces on the headlamps 🤔

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:45 pm

I couldn't sort this problem much to my frustration. Water is reaching the windscreen jets but there no oomph.

As I have a very painful lower back issue at the moment I'll be obliged to visit a dealership sharpish, MOT is due end of the month.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:24 pm

Spherical objects! That reminds me, mine is also due at the end of the month.

If you can detach them and then try a squirt, it may clear the line…image below..
93CF00CE-24E8-449D-A312-0AD05C425931.jpeg
93CF00CE-24E8-449D-A312-0AD05C425931.jpeg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Adjustment (if needed is as below…
73C6B99B-AD2E-4BE0-BA07-DB6C49F31C69.jpeg
73C6B99B-AD2E-4BE0-BA07-DB6C49F31C69.jpeg (74.28 KiB) Viewed 905 times

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:46 pm

Had a similar issue with mine albeit an f15, tried a few times and one nozzle was just a dribble, so after a few attempts of washing screen, wiped my finger over the nozzle a few times and it started working and it’s been fine ever since.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:09 pm

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:46 pm Had a similar issue with mine albeit an f15, tried a few times and one nozzle was just a dribble, so after a few attempts of washing screen, wiped my finger over the nozzle a few times and it started working and it’s been fine ever since.

Tried that at the start, no luck. Have booked it at the dealers to be done just before the MOT.Been warned its a wing off job with a set cost of £300 😳😳

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:54 pm

Ouch! That’s why I hate them for putting things in the wheel arches! Might be easy for ‘build’ but it’s a nightmare for ‘maintain’.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:59 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:09 pm
Wayfarer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:46 pm Had a similar issue with mine albeit an f15, tried a few times and one nozzle was just a dribble, so after a few attempts of washing screen, wiped my finger over the nozzle a few times and it started working and it’s been fine ever since.

Tried that at the start, no luck. Have booked it at the dealers to be done just before the MOT.Been warned its a wing off job with a set cost of £300 😳😳
Ouch!! Looks like I had a lucky escape, must make sure I use mine more often

simontaxi

Post by simontaxi » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Hi take pipe off bottom of washer jet under bonnet and put air line on pipe and give it 5 blasts of air job done! This will blow crap off filter done mine a few times now always works .As said washer bottle clogged up .

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:27 pm

It was sorted today, wheel off, arch liner out and various other bits such as I could see through the workshop window. Two plus hours of work and I have a souvenir of blue gunge that looks like latex. Parts on the bill shows 9x plastic rivets, i assume the arch liner or maybe the wing trim? I'll look in daylight tomoro. Including a full price MOT, £381 😒

Techie was telling me that yes the bottle is in a stupid place but computer design evens out the overall vehicle weight and that has decreed the bottles location and its shape. I preferred the regular shaped bottles, all accessible under the bonnet. Hidden where it is assumed it never needs to be accessed is crazy imo. To be fair my 2005 Touareg has the same setup, its hidden in almost the exact same place. Modern tech can often be frustrating, also known as expensive.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm

simontaxi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 pm Hi take pipe off bottom of washer jet under bonnet and put air line on pipe and give it 5 blasts of air job done! This will blow crap off filter done mine a few times now always works .As said washer bottle clogged up .
I can't see that working in my scenario, the latex like substance was congealed around the filter. If it hadn't been removed it would simply happen again, but regardless its sorted now, at a price.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:16 pm

Glad it’s sorted, but Ouch!

What often happens is bacterial growth once the ethanol (or IPA or whatever it is that BMW use) evaporates. If you’re going to store it for 6 months, it might be worth upping the ratio of screen wash significantly before you go. I had it a few times on my E53 and it stopped as soon as I went back to genuine BMW fluid (which you have anyway).

I’ve seen warnings about cars using E10 petrol having a problem if fuel is left unused as it can lead to corrosion in steel fuel tanks and lines.