Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternative head unit

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Alternative head unit

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:39 am

Browsing ebay and I spotted an aftermarket android head unit for an E53 quite cheap. Apparently it has android 11 etc and looks like the wide-screen head unit whereas mine is the early one with a square screen.
Are they any good? Do u just remove the old head unit and plug in the new one and that's it. What about all the stuff in the back - cd changer, amp etc. I'm assuming that the cassettes I also have won't be any use.

Greydog

Alternative head unit

Post by Greydog » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:31 am

I believe you will need the 5m extension which needs connecting to the Quad loc connector at the radio in the boot when you're threading it through add an extension for the Radio antenna and the Nav. I think most of the Android units use Digital music connections rather than CD but some may support a multi changer check the write up also if you have DSP make sure the new unit will support it.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Alternative head unit

Post by henrym3 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:19 pm

I have an Xtrons 9" fitted and got the Resler app and module as well. Yes, you need the 5m extension cable. If you have DSP the Resler people sell a small cheap co ax cable that fit from the amp to the CD player and it works. To be honest I can’t remember the last time I used the Xtrons radio as I have the Radio Player app on my phone and it just connects when I get in the vehicle and start up. I like it but a pain to run that 5m cable if you do have a sit and think about what else you might eventually want to fit in the back (reverse camera, rear view camera) and run the wires.