Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Check your dash cams!

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Check your dash cams!

Post by X5Sport » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:50 pm

For those of you with dash cams fitted, when was the last time you checked it was recording correctly and things like date/time/speed etc that are embedded in recordings are actually correct (on another computer)?

I had an incident coming home where an Ocado van in the wrong lane on my left)on a roundabout forced me to make an emergency stop as he carved across my nose (he wanted to go right from the left lane of three) without warning! We didn’t make contact but it was bl@@dy close!

I thought that I would upload the recording to the local plod site for them to deal with only to find the images are perfect but the camera’s clock has gone nuts and says it’s either 2003 or 2037! Evidence of no use at all! The indicators on the camera are fine but what it records is garbage due to unknown clock issues.

I’ll be spending the weekend binning that camera and fitting a new system. Definitely worth checking your cameras to make sure the data is correctly recording. Plod and the courts will reject anything with errors no matter how minor (and a 19 year date/time error isn’t minor!).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Check your dash cams!

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:06 pm

Interesting. What's the make & model of your cam?

I will check both of mine (I've got seperate front- and rear-facing units)
X5Sport wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:50 pmPlod and the courts will reject anything with errors no matter how minor (and a 19 year date/time error isn’t minor!).
.........and no doubt insurers will, too. :(
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Check your dash cams!

Post by X5Sport » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:18 pm

Roadhawk HD. Will be replaced with a Nextbase recently taken out of our (now handed back) 2-series. It’s not declared as fitted but yes it would have mattered a lot to insurers.

StuBeeDoo

Check your dash cams!

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:02 pm

My front-facing one is a Nextbase (402G, IIRC). The imagery it produces is pretty good, on my laptop at least. TBH, I've never checked the date- or time-stamps though. If I remember, I'll whip the SD card out and check it tomorrow - I know what time on Sunday I last drove the car.

The rear one is only a cheap'n'cheerful unbranded one that I bought when I had my E46 - probably 10 years ago.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Check your dash cams!

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:36 am

With the Nextbase check for software/firmware updates.
I have 2 of the front/rear facing ones 1 in each car.
They started loosing time/date and the odd time not shutting down just freezing.
With a firmware update touch wood but they have been spot on since.
Easy to do as well just download the file to the memory card insert it in the camera and turn it on it will do the rest itself.

StuBeeDoo

Check your dash cams!

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:14 am

Alan Gunn wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:36 amWith the Nextbase check for software/firmware updates.........
Worth knowing. Thanks. :thumbsup:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Check your dash cams!

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:53 pm

Good tip, mine was several versions behind! All up to date again. Road-hawk retired (it seems to be about 10 years old so not a bad service life) and Nextbase now installed. I’ve noted it’s also end of life so I will consider getting a second 4K version, as against 1440HD gen 1.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Check your dash cams!

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:27 am

The 2 i have are out of date now but they still do the job.
Did think about updating but looking at some video from one of them it is plenty good enough well i think it it.
Have to watch our pennies me being disabled most of my life due to an accident my fault but didn't get the pension pot so things are looking tight.