Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel inject.system - Temperature gauge goes crazy

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Elrayleon

Post by Elrayleon » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:51 am

Hi all
My Fuel inject.system warning comes up when I try to start my car and at the same time the temperature gauge shoots right up to extreme hot. The car won't start at this point, however if I turn the ignition off and on a few times until the warning doesn't come up, it starts no problem at all. At first I only needed to turn the ignition off and on a few times, but its getting worse and takes more tries now.
At first I thought it was a glow plug issue since a diagnostic indicated the plugs. I have changed these and it did not fix the issue.
After reading a few other posts, I now think its a fuel pump? But with the temperature gauge going up and down I assume its to do with wiring.
Has anybody else had of have heard of the same problem?
Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:18 am

If you are getting a system warning then that should be showing up in a code scan - ideally with BMW compatible codes rather than generic ‘P’ codes.

Sounds like an electrical issue. Also worth checking the state of your battery. Cold weather tends to uncover battery issues. Short journeys are also a battery killer! I’ve seen similar effect with a dying battery.

If it’s more than 6 years old it probably needs changing. Check the battery voltage at the under-bonnet points not less than 4 hours after last use. Simplest way is to open the bonnet and then lock the car. This releases the alarm switch meaning you don’t need to unlock again as it’s key not to wake the car up (amber tell-tale LED on the ‘P’ on the gearshift is lit). If the car does awake you need to wait 16-mins for it to go back to sleep (LED goes out). If a voltmeter shows less than 12.6V it needs replacement, or a check of the charging system carried out. With the engine running it should read between 13.8V & 14.4V.

If you are doing short journeys then you need to charge the battery fairly frequently.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.