Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre wall cracks

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
lezmtaylor

Tyre wall cracks

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:18 pm

At the last MOT on my 2002 4.4 x5 E53 (Nov 2001) I had an advisory for : all 4 tyres perishing and cracking.
They are hair line cracks and barely visibly , I have done 400 miles since this MOT. and have 6-7mm tread remaining
Now should I wait for the next MOT (Tues 15th Nov 22) and see what happens re fail or not.
If fail what would be the best brand of tyres to replace the Michelin MXV4 plus 235 x 65 -17, or get same.
They are about 6 Years old .

Lez

StuBeeDoo

Tyre wall cracks

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:10 pm

IIRC, BMW advise replacing tyres at 6 years old. My (now) 3 year old Avons were already showing cracks last year, and went through that MOT OK.

In your shoes, I'd put the car through the test as it is.

I've read recently that tyres have something added to the rubber that "lubricates" them to prevent them drying-out, therefore slowing-down the natural tendency to crack, but they need to be driven on regularly to keep the lubrication active. My Avons have only ever been used 7 months out of every 12, but have always been kept out of sunlight when in storage.

As for recommendations, you could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. My go-to tyre isn't available in your size.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre wall cracks

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:58 pm

I am usually pro active and things like tyres are a significant safety aspect of any vehicle. That said I would wait and see what the next tester says, if anything. We all know that what's stated by one tester doesn't always occur again next time.

AVI-8

Tyre wall cracks

Post by AVI-8 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:57 pm

I’d replace the tyres
What price do you put on safety ?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre wall cracks

Post by Leslie » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:54 pm

They should really be fine at 6 years old but as said cars that sit around a lot the tyres can age more quickly. With such low miles I'd just put it in and see what they say :thumbsup:

AVI-8

Tyre wall cracks

Post by AVI-8 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:22 pm

Tyres last an infinite period, if they had signs of wear on the last MOT, they’re unlikely to get better on the next MOT, just replace them, basic common sense,

lezmtaylor

Tyre wall cracks

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 am

Good news !! Car passed MOT with only 1 advisory >>>>>Tyre slightly damaged/ cracking or perishing (all four ) [5.2.3 (d)(!!)].
So panic over and ok for another 12 months.
It would seem that Michelin have discontinued the Diamaris tyre, so what is the replacement ?
Are Hancook ?? any good ??

Lez

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre wall cracks

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:05 am

I noticed Hankook are an OE supplier now so must be consided good. There was a Diamaris replacement but i don't recall what it was :roll:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyre wall cracks

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:16 am

Continental ContactSport 5 is another option. Available in the BMW fitment (*). I’ve got the RFT version on the X6. Dunlop are slightly cheaper and Bridgestone slightly more. Hankook are coming OEM now on BMW. The current Michelin BMW are using is the Pilot Sport 4 or 5 but those may not come in a size for yours.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Tyre wall cracks

Post by Greydog » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:40 am

Great news Lez.
Tyres seem to be the target this year, the E53 had advisories for both back tyres in March and the E70 had advisories for tyres in July.
On the E53 I rebuilt the rear suspension in 2020 as the rears were showing early signs of inner edge wear, 2021 sailed through with no advisories 2022 820 miles covered an Advisory for both rear tyre wear? The E70 in July as yours the advisories were "signs of cracking in the side walls" you really have to look for them.

For what it is worth the E53 is on 4 year old Hankook Ventus tyres with around 5mm all round (inner edge of the rears was 3mm measured before MOT) I brought them as Michelins were not available. The E70 is on Dunlop Sport Maxx the set that were on it when I brought it, so far so good and I will change them before the next MOT as it is now the daily drive.
Dave

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre wall cracks

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:04 am

Boot polish for next year then.
Do they still sell the old cherry blossom stuff that was the thing many years ago.

lezmtaylor

Tyre wall cracks

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:38 am

Cheers Alan, What about Dubbin we used on our football/ rugby boots in the old days ??

Lez

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre wall cracks

Post by henrym3 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:57 pm

I have 10 yo Goodyear on the m3 with no sign of cracking, admittedly only does about 1.5k a year and is always garaged so out of the sun. There must be somewhere that you can tell the age but never had an MOT tester mention anything. Must admit I’ve never thought of the age or worried about it when out and about. Admittedly it is a tad lighter than the X5.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyre wall cracks

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:36 pm

There should be a date code in the sidewall - 4 numbers usually - giving the week and year. There is a limit if 10 years on the front (steered axle) of all buses or coaches and on any axle for minibuses. Nothing for cars (yet).

My dealership warns that tyres over 8 years old should be replaced, but that’s just guidance. I’m sure caravans and trailers have age limits but that may be guidance too. My X6 winter set is now 11 years old and is not being used. I’m looking for new rubber at present as my BMW Dealer has accepted there are no ‘*’ rated winter tyres made for the 19” staggered set any more so they can’t knock the warranty for ‘incorrect tyre type’.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre wall cracks

Post by henrym3 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:49 pm

I’ll have a look tomorrow and see what I find. I’m sure (if they could get away with it). the manufacturers would recommend replacement immediately after you just payed for the set you just fitted.