Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should know better!

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Should know better!

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:48 pm

It seems its badge season in my car ownership. I replaced the rear very recently as the actual roundal section had blistered for some reason. Wind on a few weeks and bu@@er me if the bonnet badge mysteriously did the same :x

Anyway, I thought I'd save a few £s and buy a replica, it's only a badge after all. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The rep was 82 mm but after that it was crap. I got a refund for it and bought a kosher one on line which arrived today. Thank you RM for delaying it by ten days! As we know, you gets what you pays for yes £40 is ludicrous but the silver edge finish is perfectly smooth not crinkled where its been folded badly, and it fitted the grommets like a hot knife through butter, the replica didn't fit at all well and could be rocked up and down when in place.

Moral, if there is one, buy a premium product and forever pay more than seems sensible to keep it in good shape :roll:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Should know better!

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:57 pm

Useful to know. I changed the E46 grilles for non-genuine M-Performance black versions as OEM are no longer available now. The fit was poor and the design is for the E90 version but resized for the E46. I’ve had to use a hot glue gun to help lock them into place. The look good, but rattle.

Lesson learned and OEM it is, I just won’t leave it until 15 years after the car was in production :oops:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Should know better!

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Yes, agreed. When I blacked out the front of the car I didn't consider non OEM kidneys. They were over a ton as I recall, lots more than aftermarket offerings but fitted perfectly and don't move when washing etc.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Should know better!

Post by Leslie » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:33 pm

I paid the monies for a genuine bonnet badge after the top disappeared on a stormy day after having non genuine centre caps which corroded after about 3 months. The genuine ones I bought at £40 for 4 are still good a few years after. but as a badge is roughly the same size as a centre cap it does make the badge look expensive :thumbsdown:

marti

Should know better!

Post by marti » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:03 pm

The reason the replica rocked is theyre flat, genuine have a slight curve in them, you can hardly notice it,but its there :wink:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Should know better!

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:23 pm

In my case I suspect the pins where too tight in the OE grommets and didnt seat properly. The back of the rep one I bought is very slightly concave. Having had a no quibble refund without a return its unimportant now. It will go in my box of miscellaneous BMW bits n bobs

marti

Should know better!

Post by marti » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:10 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:23 pm In my case I suspect the pins where too tight in the OE grommets and didnt seat properly. The back of the rep one I bought is very slightly concave. Having had a no quibble refund without a return its unimportant now. It will go in my box of miscellaneous BMW bits n bobs
Box :? ....Half my garage is full :D

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Should know better!

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 pm

I'm less hands on then yourself, but you haven't seen the size of the box I use! Three sets of wheels occupies a substantial space, but it's not a competition :wink:

marti

Should know better!

Post by marti » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:13 am

Crikey!...must be a big box :D

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Should know better!

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:16 am

marti wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:13 am Crikey!...must be a big box :D
I think its called a shed :wink: :D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Should know better!

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:27 am

:dance2: :dance2: :rofl: :rofl:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Should know better!

Post by marti » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:06 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: