Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OT thoughts

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT thoughts

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:20 am

OK so fair to say this is the winter of discontent number two, for those of us old enough to remember the first.

I'm generally not political, trying to make a simple way through life without harm or detriment to others. I'm sure the growing list of strikers have valid reasons for their actions but its increasingly annoying to " the man in the street" to have these multiple events impacting their lives.

I know it's a way to make a point but isn't it selfish at the same time? My Christmas post, such as it was/would have been is very far from complete but there's no more now. I regret I'll inevitably have a different view of the lovely post lady even if she could be a reluctant participant.

Why is it also that the likes of Mick Lynch have that scowling demena and aggressive attitude, playing the hard man perhaps? Its reminiscent of so many past union leaders calling out their brothers and sisters to the cause. I'm convinced its an ego trip for his kind, enjoying the limelight and "fame".

Thankfully I don't use trains very often and hopefully I won't need the emergency services any time soon, and any post I'm due can indeed wait. Still irked at the compromise I have to suffer at the hands of others though.

Setting that aside, a Happy Christmas to all participating members, quite a few are awol sadly. Hopefully 2023 will be a better year for everyone. I think we probably deserve it
Last edited by sapphireblack on Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OT thoughts

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:59 am

Your thoughts are not misplaced. Many millions will agree with you. Like you I do remember the winter of discontent. I also remember in my early days as a Civil Servant getting two 25% pay rises in the same year (I was very junior!).

I’ll take the opportunity to return your wishes and offer my own to the assembled membership. Thank you all for helping keep the forum going.

I hope you all manage to have an enjoyable Christmas Break and a Peaceful New Year once it arrives. Things will get better :D :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT thoughts

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:15 am

So naffed off am I that I booked only last night to fly to Greece in February, much earlier than normal, its a one way ticket too. I wouldn't be surprised if during 2023 I leave the UK permanently and sell a very nice X6 as a result.

Life everywhere has compromises, Greece is certainly no exception but its just a simpler, albeit can be frustrating life with tradesmen not turning up to confirmed appointments and the like, but I prefer life there now, sad maybe but true.

lezmtaylor

OT thoughts

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:20 pm

A Happy Christmas to all on the Forum, also hopefully a strike free 2023 ( whose kidding who !!! )

Lez

marti

OT thoughts

Post by marti » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:11 am

sapphireblack wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:15 am So naffed off am I that I booked only last night to fly to Greece in February, much earlier than normal, its a one way ticket too. I wouldn't be surprised if during 2023 I leave the UK permanently and sell a very nice X6 as a result.

Life everywhere has compromises, Greece is certainly no exception but its just a simpler, albeit can be frustrating life with tradesmen not turning up to confirmed appointments and the like, but I prefer life there now, sad maybe but true.
If you do decide to leave the UK for good, please give me first dibs on the X6 :wink: , Merry Christmas to all :thumbsup:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT thoughts

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:21 am

I'll bear that in mind :)