Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bmw X5 50d TURBO REPLACEMENT AT 58K miles...WHY?

Aleks02

Post by Aleks02 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:58 pm

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:20 pm

Things like this happen. Turbo failures are down to simple bad luck, poor driving style (not letting the power unit warm up and cool down sympathetically), bad oil change procedures, poor choice of oil, manufacturing defect or some other mechanical issue.

There are tens of thousands of BMW’s (and other car manufacturers) vehicles on the road that have been serviced in accordance with manufacturers instructions and schedules that have NEVER had an issue of any sort. Long service intervals came in because the engine manufacturing tolerances are so much better than they were twenty or more years ago. Running in procedures are far more lax than they were when I first started driving.

Diesel engines lasting 300,000 miles are perfectly feasible with only a few routine service items needing doing, such as glowplugs, filters, hoses and the odd additional cleaning of EGRs etc.

From talking to friends who work on turbo vehicles the issue they regularly see is failure due to the bearings being ‘cooked’. This is where the car has been driven hard before it’s properly warmed up and then switched off without allowing a cool-down cycle. It’s more of an issue with petrol engines but does affect diesels as well. Keep treating an engine in that way and it will fail prematurely.

I’ve been a member of this and other related forums since the mid-2000s and the number of turbo failures can be counted on one hand. I’ve no idea why this one went early, but there it is.

And yes it’s a cast-iron beast of a job to sort it because BMW (as every other manufacturer) designs cars for the production line, not the servicing bay.

One final thought….on a car like that I would buy an extended warranty. Why? Because not doing so can prove seriously expensive. I know from firsthand experience with an E53 gearbox.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Aleks02

Post by Aleks02 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:22 pm

He had Bmw warranty..and guess what its been ignored
They even charged him to “diagnose” it
Proves that its one big business for manufacturers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:31 pm

Yeah, we’ve all been caught by the ‘diagnosis’ fee at some point. :x

And yes it’s a money spinner, but that’s the industry for you, and not just the motor industry.

For a warranty to be rejected there’s usually a reason. What was it in this case?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:58 pm

If he had warranty there much be a reason the claim was rejected either a missed service or something ?
The complexity of these beasts means they will have a short life as there is just too much to go wrong , the size of that engine when it's out of the car is just enormous :driving:
That was a very expensive repair even away from Bmw pricing with 3 recon turbo's and a new pump and chain kit , watching the video looks like the small turbo failed , I guess 95% of the time it is the only one doing any work so it will generally be the first to fail. As mentioned the 19k oil changes are just crazy on such a highly strung engine , great for when its in warranty but will see it die long before its time :thumbsdown:
Id love one all the same :driving:

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:43 am

After watching that video i am so glad i am out of the game now.
I just visit the garage every Saturday morning to sniff the spanners lol.

Robert

Post by Robert » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:23 am

thanks for the video
Less is more. Slow is fast/

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:20 pm

I recently came across this, an M50d 2018 needing all 3 turbos, the culprit was the DPF that caused the failure, however the cost was £5k to have all 3 turbos done, very awkward job too.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:24 am

A talented guy, i wouldnt know where to start.

A very tidy looking 8 series in early shots, then a 7 series Alpina? in the background.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:19 am

Blimey !! My garage hasn't got enough floor space for a job like that. :cry:

As X5 Sport has pointed out all manufactures use a powertrain assembly line which is married complete to the body with little or no thought of service access, Range Rover Sports needing the engine dropped to fix turbo issues, VW Toureg V10, there are probably a whole list of others
Yep a Warranty is a definite requirement my tip is don't talk to the Warranty company yourself let the diagnosing garage do it they will speak the same language.