Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 Cranks but just wont start up

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:54 pm

Car wont start again ...but at least we now know its fuel not getting to where its needed.

Not sure how I could test for oil pressure ....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:59 pm

Glad you’re getting somewhere, and the fuel pumps are working. When was the fuel filter last replaced? Could be not enough is getting though.

Getting the glowplug issue sorted early on will probably help….once the crisis is over.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:53 pm

Before my inline pump under the floor failed on my 330d I got some hesitation at times , thankfully it failed at home started fine and before I moved of just died so I wouldn't be going too far just jet :driving: If it has suddenly become noisy then id be concerned it was on the way out but you need live data to see what pressure its putting out usually 3.5 to 4 bar . Also if you have a leaking injector the minimum line pressure for the ecu to allow a start can't be met usually about 300 bar , slow cranking will also stop this happening. :thumbsup:

Changing heater plugs on an old motor is a risky business that could leave you in a whole heap of trouble , I have codes for 5 out , probably all 6 are dead and this week it started first crank at -5c...just saying :D After x5sport's saga I feel it's way too risky to attempt now .

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:03 pm

I've owned it for 15yrs and I don't recollect ever changing the fuel filter so could start off with this.

Regarding pressure side of things, I have the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE. How useful is this for my current situation. Will bimmerlink (yet to buy) app give me the necessary live fuel pressure readings (one I use the easy start again) for further diagnosis?

So list of all parts in the equation as I see it are:-
fuel pump
fuel filter
Injectors
fuel pressure sensor
fuel pressure regulator
crankshaft sensor

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:10 pm

Wouldn't start with a faulty crank sensor , no codes for injectors usually smooth running shows up , the fuel filter is probably due a change :poke: the cold weather could have made any blockage worse for sure.

Cant really advise for code readers was looking for one for myself to do a certain job and still looking :headbang: but if it has live data it should in theory be able to do what you want but that isn't always the case.

Id check the little leak off pipes between he injectors for any signs of wetness as that can cause a loss of rail pressure too.

Id clean that egr valve though its the only thing you have a real code for :thumbsup:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:58 pm

If it’s that vintage then leave the glowplugs alone for the time being - as said they can be a nightmare without proper prep. No idea about the diagnostics tool you have as I use Carly and that has it’s own adapter. Fuel side sounds to be an issue. The filter is under the passenger side
52B9F8C2-D980-46A9-81B8-0C11878BDE97.jpeg
52B9F8C2-D980-46A9-81B8-0C11878BDE97.jpeg (77.18 KiB) Viewed 1691 times

This thread had similar symptoms: viewtopic.php?t=18979

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:03 pm

Thank you all for all your help so far.

I'm hoping to get the mann/bosch filter tomorrow from ECP. Fingers crossed, I'll have time to fix tomorrow as well

.... with the hope that the filter is the issue

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:59 am

Glad you gave the easy start a try it can help as it did in your case.
Have you had any starting problems when the car was hot in the past at all.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:44 pm

Sorry for the late reply Alan. I've never had a starting problem before except for when I was getting longer cranking times which was what led me to replacing the glow plugs and controller a few years back.

I jacked the car up to change the filter and did not bother doing it. With the car on Axel stands, its still tight space to work with. I will succeed in getting the under trays off but there is no way I'll be able to put it back so thought this might be a job better done in a garage.

I spoke to a mechanic and he were adamant the issue can't be the filter since it starts up easily with the easy start. he said its very likely to be leaky injectors

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:48 pm

It was worth a look, and if it’s that old then needs changing. Could be injectors. Do you get a fair bit of smoke when it does start? That would indicate over-fuelling caused by too much fuel in the bores as a result of leaking.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:45 pm

No unusual levels of smoke when it starts up. I've just started it up again now(with easy start) to clear and read the codes. Apart from the ones for the Glow plug I am also getting
4390 - Air temperature sensor
P1246 - not fully sure what this one is

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:31 pm

Really need the BMW code to diagnose this. Your code is an OBD2 generic ‘P’ code and a quick google search gives several possibles that may all be wrong.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:59 am

When i had 2 failed leaky injectors my car would start from cold but struggle when hot.
Fuel filter on my 2002 is under the bonnet so easy to get at to change.
Leak-off test is easy to do.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:06 am

I have now booked it into an indy garage for next Wednesday for diagnosis.
I'll do the repair myself if its within my capabilities else its time to sell/scrap the car. It not worth spending more money on the car since I have to be rid of the by august (or year end) due to ULEZ expansion.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:41 pm

Funny man sits in London and decrees ULEZ is to be expanded, rendering God knows how many vehicles redundant to their owners.
I simply don't understand how that can be done without compensating their owners. So pleased I gave up on London years ago, though even my last suburban home in Shirley falls within expansion i think, bonkers :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: