Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OT help mobile phones

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:24 am

Simply put, when I dial a number which rings for a while, but is then terminated with the message 'call declined', is that a manual or automatic outcome?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:09 pm

No mobile techies here?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OT help mobile phones

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:16 pm

Your number withheld? All numbers or a specific one? Within UK or International?

CSPs can offer a service that rejects either unknown or withheld numbers. Not used it myself but that could be the issue. I believe it could be auto or manual depending upon service subscribed to.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:23 pm

My number is public. I'm concerned for a guy who I only know via a forum, not this one, who's gone awol. I know he has some mental health issues, and I obviously have growing concerns for him.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OT help mobile phones

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:00 pm

All that I can suggest is finding which network the individual is on to see if they will make a check call. After that it’s likely a police matter who can ask the network to locate the handset. That isn’t something thee and me can ask for. The network will be able to establish which cell towers are connecting and from there a direction finding can be done. It should get them close enough.

Fingers crossed all is well.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 pm

A quick Google confirms he's with O2, 07596

I know he was held in a unit for his own safety early 2022. I've spoken to him once since he was 'released ' but only had the outcome in my OP since October. If the phone is active I'm optimistic he's in a safe space, somewhere 🤞

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:28 am

Not sure about the o2 bit.
Transfer to new provider and the number will still show as o2.
Hope he is ok.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OT help mobile phones

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:51 pm

Correct, my number shows as Orange but I haven’t been with them since before they became EE. Number porting makes simple tracing trickier. Give the experts a call and let them know you’re worried. They have the necessary access. Fingers crossed :)

This info might help explain rejected call messages….https://techwithtech.com/call-rejected- ... e-meaning/

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:56 pm

Many thanks for your help. Those multiple reasons are a head explorer, and it seems from my understanding that I'll probably never know.

When he was first 'detained' I did get a message, after I'd called, advising Mr ..... was being detained at a secure mental heath facility and it was anticipated he would be 'released' in twelve to fourteen days. That proved to be quite accurate. And we subsequently had a chat that was balanced and unremarkable in itself.No such message this time and I'm fearing the worst though hoping for the best.

I'll try calling O2 tomorrow.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 am

If you have his name and a number for him would it be worth a chat with plod.
From what you have told us they might take a look after all he is a missing person with mental health problems.
That is the way i would go.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:15 am

I don't know his address, other than Milton Keynes, would police get involved? I'll call O2 first .

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:58 am

O2 systems are down for maintenance. Why not do such things during the night? :roll:

And Thames Valley Police are, "only able to deal with emergency calls at this time".. :x

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:59 pm

OK I will leave this after this post, thanks for the suggestions.

O2 not really helpful, the number is no longer theirs. No further advice offered.

To my surprise Thames Valley Police took me seriously, not a crank caller time waster at least, and gave me a reference after taking all the details I could offer. They suggested I may never know the facts or what outcome they arrive at, if any.

I don't think I can't do any more but feel helpless too. 😟

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OT help mobile phones

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:03 pm

Well done for persevering. Caring about friends is something to be proud of and TVP have done as they should. Hopefully there will be a good outcome that you and your friend can laugh about at some point in the future. I applaud you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OT help mobile phones

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm

Well the outcome is I got quite a brusque message from the guy after police had visited him.

He simply said his phone is set to mute therefore not aware of any calls or messages. The latter seems odd to me, why have a mobile at all, but thats a conscious decision I suppose. The guy is alright which is good, TVP response was positive and quick, also good.

However I'm left feeling rather stupid and guilty of actually wasting police time. Maybe there's a lesson for me here, be a selfish uninterested bugger and just get on with my life.