Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door won't open from inside or outside, and is closed!

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
TheGriffter

Post by TheGriffter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:54 pm

Hey Everyone,
My drivers door (2005 Sport 3.0d facelift) won't open using either the outside or inside handle.....and the door is closed :(

Got the MOT in a week and asking the tester to climb in via the passenger side won't be a good start....
From the key fob the door pin goes up and down when locking unlocking as normal, but the door doesn't open
Using the key in the barrel the locking pin goes up and down when unlocked / locked as expected.
Both the internal and external handles feel like there is no purchase / pull which made me think door carrier or cable have broken (this happened after a -7 degree night the other day in Manchester, UK)
A complication is that the drivers window is suffering from (I think) a broken regulator as it makes a big crunching noise when activated.

I've tried lots of the recommendations I've seen, but no joy yet - getting the door card off while the door card is closed seems almost impossible.
Releasing the door seems equally impossible

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome

Cheers Griff

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:04 pm

Any clues here…..handle carriers are a k own weak spot in E53s.

viewtopic.php?t=417&hilit=Handle+carrier
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

TheGriffter

Post by TheGriffter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Thanks for that.
Yes - I'm pretty sure that the carrier is the issue and that article is what I used to replace it maybe 4 or 5 years ago on the other side.

This one is different in that the door is not opening from the inside either, so can't even get door card off to disassemble and investigate.

Cheers

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:16 am

Been looking for half an hour but can't find the video that got me out of this.
When i had this problem 5 years ago i found a video online that showed you how to open the door with a bit of strong wire i used welding rod.
You had to put a small hook on it and only slide it down the window so far and jiggle/pull and it worked for me WHEN i marked the length as said in the video.
Will look again shortly.
MOT won't happen with the door not opening.

TheGriffter

Post by TheGriffter » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 am

Thanks Alan.
The fixes with the welding rod / wire coat hanger seem I've found seem to need the window to be down and you push the latch mechanism with the rod. With the window up it doesn't seem able to get to the right latch part (if that makes sense)

I like a challenge and will find a way, but appreciate all the help so far!

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:10 am

Looks like you found them i couldn't find them and i did look.
Can't remember what you did exactly but the rod had only to go down so far.
I will look again as i can't remember.
Just thought you can get the window down ??? if you found the video with the welding rod can you send it to me or a link in a post.

mikeaj

Post by mikeaj » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:48 am

I have had this too! I replaced the monkey metal handle carrier, with a genuine one. It was cracked from a bad casting. I took it back to the stealer in Coventry, but they had to check it. Fine, but they insisted that they needed the car to run diagnostics first! My expense! Not refundable! Really? What could diagnostics tell them about a door handle? They couldn't accept it was faulty without "diagnosing" it. It was on the table in front of them! The crack clearly visible! Wrote it off and not been back!

Anyway, the biggest problem with the door card is access around the seat. The seat is very heavy, but very easy to unbolt it, unplug it and put it on the back seat. You can then get access to remove the door card and get sensible access into the door cavity. The time spent moving the seat is well worth it, but buy a pack of plastic clips first.
My problem was that the internals of the door latch were worn and the "open" mechanism didn't quite release. With the card off you can easily trip it and open the door.

TheGriffter

Post by TheGriffter » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 pm

Hi Alan,

The article I found wasn't a video, but had detailed photos - here for reference
https://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums ... pics.html

I'm tackling this at the weekend so will update after I have tried - joy or despair, who knows!

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:01 am

TheGriffter wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 pm Hi Alan,

The article I found wasn't a video, but had detailed photos - here for reference
https://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums ... pics.html

I'm tackling this at the weekend so will update after I have tried - joy or despair, who knows!
That was it no wounder i couldn't find it lol.
I was convinced it was a video i had watched and video was what i was looking for.
Windows should come down from the remote fob.
Hope you get it sorted and make sure the cable ends pop back on one of mine came off after i put it all back together.

TheGriffter

Post by TheGriffter » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:58 pm

Well, it now seems that the MOT tester will be able to get into my car next week!!

Used the welding rod, fair amount of "wiggling" and prodding as well as a fair few biscuits, but it is open :D Turns out the carrier wasn't actually broken - just very seized up with the recent cold weather. Cleaned and greased it up and working smoothly (for now).

Now I'm a bit more confident I am going to fix my broken window regulator after the MOT

Thanks for all the advice and pointing me in the right direction :thumbsup:

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:25 am

Glad you got it sorted out.
When i did mine i got it open on the second or third try but that was after i worked out i had been trying with the rod down the wrong side of the glass at first lol.