Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dipping Wing Mirror

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
ttr

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by ttr » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:26 pm

Eh up all,

Been great on the X5 of late - no issues to report :D

My passenger side wing mirror hasn’t been playing ball and dipping when selecting reverse for ages :x

It did a kind of “dad dance” then went back to normal position or off late didn’t even dance just nothings :!:

Thought I would have a look 👀 how difficult could it be :tumbleweed:

Stripped the glass out, then the back plate, then mounting piece and finally into the motor, found a couple of what looked like sensors , circuit boards that connected to a couple of arms / claws.

Cleaned these up wit switch cleaner and also gently prised open the claws, reassembled the lot and hey presto it worked :thumbsup:

I assume it was either grease or just dirty circuit boards that were causing the issues

Anyway all good - worth a go as it took me about an hour to sort.

Just be careful with the little torx screws as you have to work on it attached to the mirror

Cheers all

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:17 pm

I’m going to have to take the passenger mirror on the E46 apart. It’s no longer moving at all. Could be gunged up or a ribbon cable failure (why a ribbon cable BMW?). If I can’t fix it then it’s serious money for the motor unit itself - been quoted £300-400 for parts! And that price is just the electrics!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:21 am

Had to laugh to myself reading the 2 above.
On my 2002 x5 there is only the tilt in reverse that works on the car.
The auto fold has a fit if i press the button and driver side is now totally manual.
Will have to get them sorted but when the weather warms up only me drives it so don't need adjusting lol.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:49 am

Alan Gunn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:21 am Had to laugh to myself reading the 2 above.
On my 2002 x5 there is only the tilt in reverse that works on the car.
The auto fold has a fit if i press the button and driver side is now totally manual.
Will have to get them sorted but when the weather warms up only me drives it so don't need adjusting lol.

This was the very last fix on my E53 prior to selling it. I recall well the bill was nearly four figures for both mirror internals.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:50 pm

In the past I have taken them to bits and always found the cheap little gear wheel repair kits and some new grease sorts them out. The hardest thing to fix is if the little micro switch metal arm is broken/missing or bent. Haven’t found anywhere to buy the micro switch with the correct arm.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:58 pm

henrym3 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:50 pm In the past I have taken them to bits and always found the cheap little gear wheel repair kits and some new grease sorts them out. The hardest thing to fix is if the little micro switch metal arm is broken/missing or bent. Haven’t found anywhere to buy the micro switch with the correct arm.
I'd previously replaced the worm drives twice one side, once t'other. I just wasn't up for messing with them any more. Probably a case of more cash (then) than sense

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:48 am

Fiddly jobs like that are a no no for me.
I only have about 5% use in my left hand and i get so frustrated if i try them well i think you know where all the bits end up.
I can grip only but the object has to be put in my hand.
Bad accident.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by Raj » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:34 am

Electric folding mirrors are the worst on the E53. I'm glad even with all the options I have on this one I have manual folding so never have to worry about them failing.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:40 am

Raj wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:34 am Electric folding mirrors are the worst on the E53. I'm glad even with all the options I have on this one I have manual folding so never have to worry about them failing.
You still got that monster tuned 335 that you had a couple of years back? That probably needed auto-folding mirrors for when it approached the sound barrier!!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Dipping Wing Mirror

Post by Raj » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 am

X5Sport wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:40 am
You still got that monster tuned 335 that you had a couple of years back? That probably needed auto-folding mirrors for when it approached the sound barrier!!
Hey buddy, hope you're well.

Yes still have the 335. Few more bits done to it now lol.