Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air springs

t90ark

Air springs

Post by t90ark » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:07 pm

Hi all

My RH rear corner droops occasionally. Might do it once a week, might do it a couple of times a day, might not do it at all for a number of days.

I haven't checked the air bag, but I'd have thought it would droop consistently if an air bag was leaking.

Any thoughts?
F15 X5 30d Msport in Sapphire Black metallic
e89 Z4 30i sDrive in Sapphire Black metallic

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Air springs

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:21 pm

Could be the bag - a spray with water/detergent will find the hole - , or it could be a leak in a pipe between the compressor and bags. Worth checking the pipework.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Air springs

Post by Leslie » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:31 am

Depends the way the car is sitting if mine is on the drive which slopes forward and to right the left airbag stays up as no load on it, if its on the flat or rear ramped up it goes down in a short time.

t90ark

Air springs

Post by t90ark » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Interestingly, its just been into BMW for a couple of recalls and BMW always carry out a 'health check', in an attempt to relieve of your hard earned, and the suspension came back as all good.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Air springs

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:13 pm

Those checks used to be free, but suddenly aren’t :o

My X6 went in for MOT - nothing wrong, not even a caution. Goes in for a Health Check two weeks later and a front suspension joint might be a bit slack. Why not found in MOT? Hmmmm. And to add insult to injury they then tell me afterwards it needed a service - so that’s three visits all with added labour charges. :headbang: :headbang:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

t90ark

Air springs

Post by t90ark » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:57 pm

X5Sport wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:13 pm Those checks used to be free, but suddenly aren’t :o

My X6 went in for MOT - nothing wrong, not even a caution. Goes in for a Health Check two weeks later and a front suspension joint might be a bit slack. Why not found in MOT? Hmmmm. And to add insult to injury they then tell me afterwards it needed a service - so that’s three visits all with added labour charges. :headbang: :headbang:
In the video you get sent, the mechanic says the rear pads have 5mm and discs have a small lip but not enough that the discs are at min thickness. I get a phone call later to say I need rear pads and discs.... 'shall we fit them, Sir'.... because its what BMW recommends, lol

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Air springs

Post by Leslie » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:44 am

Got my passenger Air spring swapped out and now holding air when parked up again, could see the fine cracks at the bottom of the old bag which may be original (2009)
It was pumping for up to a minute recently and you could fell the side lifting and had errored out for self levelling inactive a couple of times.
No doubt the drivers side will need doing soon as well. :driving: