Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Xenon headlamp bulb replacement.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:32 pm

This is no fun lol , almost impossible to fit the connector back on the bulb once its in. The later cars around 2012 the bulb turns round to fit but cars like mine 2009 it just slides in and is held by 2 clips , working now after some swearing and 2 scratched up wrists :rofl:

Handy little video here though I watched the one for later cars and was trying to turb the bulb around which is impossible :headbang: Id do the next one from inside the wheelarch liner as at one point I was about to give up :rofl: It's way tougher than the video suggests :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPeVE4m ... LL&index=1

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:57 pm

I had the same when replacing both the ones on my X6 a couple of years back. It was also necessary to put some towels below the lamps to make sure anything dropped didn’t promptly require a wing off to retrieve it!

It’s fine if you’ve got small hands and thin arms, but I haven’t. Some of the metal in these cars has wickedly sharp edges. :cry:

I’m certain the E46 front end will have to come off if one of those goes. There’s just no access to the lamp with it in place. Probably common in a lot of cars judging by the number I see every commute with lamps out.

LED lamps failing usually means a complete unit change and the costs are frightening due to them being main dealer only - unless really lucky to find one in a scrappy. I think the ones on our ex-2series were over £2k EACH.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:34 pm

My e46 xenons were an absolute gift 30 secs and good access maybe the later cars were worse. I dunno. I did imagine dropping it in the wing void that would be a nightmare just buy another :rofl: so practiced with the old bulb first but that connector on the bottom maybe you can fit it before putting the bulb in but the lead is very short.
As for leds we'll hardly progress if a whole lamp needs changed is it I mean I got a genuine osram D1S bulb for 35 quid! Would be such a waste.
All this makes a bit of a mockery of carrying a spare bulb to change at the roadside it just ain't happening. I had to stand on a chair as my arms were not long enough must have looked a sight :rofl: and yes sharp edges everywhere to bite you.
Last edited by Leslie on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:35 pm

I think it’s because ours is a 330Cd convertible.

Our incoming i4 has laser headlights so I’ll need another mortgage if those fail. They’re supposed to last the life of the car……or three years in BMW speak :P
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:38 pm

Most cars a nightmare to do now legislation is needed to make it better, some cars the headlight slides out brilliant idea think it porsches and maybe even humple ford focus :thumbsup:
That extended warranty so critical these days I do admire kia no nonsense everything covered 7 year warranty fair play can't fault it.