Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

S217A Active Steering

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

S217A Active Steering

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:43 pm

This is effectively a subtle four wheel steering system?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

S217A Active Steering

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:23 am

It is indeed. I think it’s on the 7-series, or at least can be optioned onto that range?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

S217A Active Steering

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:56 am

Well my X6 has it and it finally explains what to me is a very 'light' feel to the steering system, I actually made reference to it on a thread very recently.

Had the car over five years now and was aware the steering always felt 'different'. Now I know why. Seems the previous owner ticked the box for this feature. Not sure I would have but I understand the cars behaviour better now. It just proves that I don't drive it frequently and rarely any long distance.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

S217A Active Steering

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:26 pm

In 2010 when I ordered mine those options were removed from the 40d for some reason. You could get them on the 35d and the 30d but not the ‘then’ go faster 40d. I don’t know if they came back in the M50d though.

The steering on my X6 is a lot lighter than the E46, and I’ve noticed it feels lighter now I’ve changed tyres from Continental ContactSport 5 over to Bridgestone Dueller again. The mpg has also risen by almost 2mpg as well. The Conti’s had good grip but they wore out really quickly. Must be a softer compound.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

S217A Active Steering

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:21 pm

Your observations on Continentals Vs Bridgestones I would totally agree with. Both runflats of course but again, I agree and the Continentals ride better. Bridgestones are much firmer, a harder compound hence longer life and better mpg. Tyres though is all about grip isn't it?

So it's all a trade off, like many aspects of life I suppose.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

S217A Active Steering

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:42 pm

I actually a 6 series with Active Steering last week whilst waiting for HRH to come out of Tesco’s. It looked really odd to see the rear wheels steering as the driver manoeuvred out of a parking slot! They don’t move very far, and it still took a 15-point turn to complete a simple reversal… :?