Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW e53 boot not locking

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Eddy e53

BMW e53 boot not locking

Post by Eddy e53 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:21 pm

Hi was working in the boot so did the usual pushed lock up to turn lights off as drains battery now it will not shut tried unlocking locking catch does not close and no lock softclosier checked fuse can’t tell if locks open or shut look likes it’s open and won’t lock any help would be great

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BMW e53 boot not locking

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Bottom, top, or both parts of the tailgate?

The top has a rotating lock that engages the hasp on the top centre of the lower section. Is it open or closed? If it’s closed then the lock system thinks it’s locked. You need to get that open again - something like a screwdriver in the gap and press unlock so it releases and opens.

It’s the rotation of that lock that pulls the tailgate down - or so I believe - as the soft close function.

The fuses involved are F60 (30A) in the front and F84 (7.5A) in the rear.

Just a thought…..did you disturb the emergency release for the upper section? See this…if it helps: https://www.carmanualsonline.info/bmw-x ... te+release

It might reset the lock.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Eddy e53

BMW e53 boot not locking

Post by Eddy e53 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:29 pm

Hi thanks no didnt touch the emergency release just pushed latch up to lock to turn lights out may have forgot to unlock looks unlocked now is a gap but will not lock I have unplugged the tailgate lights as can’t lock do you think I should put them back in as might effect sensors may work with them back in

Eddy e53

BMW e53 boot not locking

Post by Eddy e53 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:50 pm

Just pushed lock up with screwdriver to lock to turn lights off maybe it’s not fully unlocked do I need to put screwdriver up to release again

Eddy e53

BMW e53 boot not locking

Post by Eddy e53 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:27 pm

Hi sorted took lock out and took plastic cover off and looks like there was a plastic arm which was worn and not sitting properly onto cog bought a used one not cheap but all good working fine now just wear and tear

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BMW e53 boot not locking

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:01 pm

Glad you got there eventually :thumbsup:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.