Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ECU how much to fix.. or something else wrong.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5Andym

Post by X5Andym » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:53 am

X5Andym

It all started with the starter motor not starting, from time to time, all lit up but no start, after a few attempts all good, car running, had this checked out, new starter motor required not the same original make Bosch but Lucas was available, car was left with no battery power for a few days, when the new starter motor was fitted no crank the car seemed to have gone to sleep.. battery was good.. seemed to be the ECU, are these units available on the open market and at what cost.. any help advice would be great.. 👍
my X5 is 4.4 v8 on a 05 plate 41K only.. should not be having these issues..

Thank you...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:08 am

Have you had a full error log download carried out with BMW compatible software/OBD2 reader?

Brand new ECUs were serious money - well over £1k programmed. That isn’t a BMW price either. They can be fixed and that would save you some funds, but you need to be sure it is the ECU at fault first. It could be a problem with the ignition switch, immobiliser, or even they key transponder.

Unfortunately it isn’t the mileage likely to cause issues now, it will be aging of the electronics.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:29 pm

I would be getting a second opinion sounds like there probably wasn’t anything wrong with the first starter motor, working from time to time was probably just the start of fault that is elsewhere. I’d be amazed if it’s the ECU. Unplug it and see if there’s any corrosion on the pins. If it doesn’t start check that the motor is getting volts. Ignition switch as suggested must be checked first simply because it’s cheap. I’d be reluctant to start throwing parts at it. 41k bloody hell must be in good nick.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:52 pm

Thinking about this, it would be well worth checking for a bad earth connection - either loose or corroded. Damp could have got into places simply through lack of use. I don’t recall anyone on here, across all of the models, reporting an ECU failure. They are very rare (you might be unlucky) but there’s lots of other things to investigate first.

Starters were an issue in 2004/5 but that didn’t affect Bosch manufactured units.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.