Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Given-up hope of ever coding

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:16 pm

When I bought my F25 nearly 5 years ago there were several things I wanted to change. Early-on in my ownership I paid a local lad to change the ASS parameters, but decided to get a cable and do the rest myself. How difficult can it be??

So I bought a cable and watched loads of videos of the processes. But the stumbling block has always been getting E-sys and PsdzData to install on a laptop. I've lost count of how many times I've attempted it. :( I've even tried it on different laptops with different versions of Windoze.

The lad that coded the ASS has vanished, and I can't remember how I got in touch with him in the first instance. I tried a couple of indys locally but they are always too busy, even after I explain I will gladly pay whatever their going rate is. As of today, I've given-up. I've got to the point where I can't even remember what it was I wanted to code. I've just got used to the car as it is.

Before anyone asks, I refuse to go down the smartphone route because I don't own one and will never use one.

If anyone can use a brand new Ethernet - OBD cable, just PM me your address and it will be on its way to you. I've also posted it in the for sale section.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:23 pm

Hello mate, I know a guy who can remotely install the software onto a computer of yours. In my case I keep a separate computer for the ESYS & ISTA SW so he rebuilt the computer and installed the sw for me. He could provide a cable too but i already had a cable.

Didn’t know him before, so there was risk involved in letting him into my network and comp. but it was a fresh comp so I went for it.

A student from abroad and he charges for it. PM me if interested, I can introduce.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Thanks, but as I said it's been so long that I can't even remember what I wanted to code now. :(

I really only posted to vent my frustration at modern vehicles being far too complicated for old fogies like me to deal with. I may be a Luddite but so much of this stuff really isn't necessary. :roll:
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:07 pm

The smartphone route may not be the answer anyway. I use Carly and in theory it can code a number of things. Sadly even once selected from the coding system options and uploaded to the car they have no effect at all.

It doesn’t just depend upon options fitted, but the year they were fitted and the market the car is used in. In theory it should all work, but doesn’t.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:36 pm

Is this not where BMW comes up with subscriptions for everything like heated seats etc in the future ??? :rofl: even though they will be fitting everything at the factory just you need to pay monthly to use it in your own car :rofl: I feel your pain I tried to load a copy of carsoft on my laptop years ago , many tries later and a visit to an IT buddy was needed before it actually worked :rofl:

I contacted Foxwell's Uk importer recently about if a code reader they sold and if it could co a particular job on my x5 and them being the experts and the best I got was might do /might not for your model , I know Carly cannot do it :headbang:

Bring back points and carbs I say :driving:

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:00 am

Also, I think the later cars’ similar software runs in the cloud or a server at BMW and u have to connect/login online. So it’s no longer downloadable.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:54 pm

That certainly matches what they’ve done with the ETK parts database, hence most (such as RealOEM) not being updated after December 2019. It’s a real pain finding parts/upgrades, mods etc nowadays if you have a model introduced or built after that date.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.