Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Showing my ignorance

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:41 pm

OK, this doesn't even relate to a BMW but I'll get a better response here and an informed one?

The battery on my other German branded vehicle needs replacing. If I connect an Audew jump pack, will that retain the memory functions while the battery is removed and replaced? So many electric memory features I don't want to lose, setting them up again would be a pita. I have an unused gizmo that connects to the OBD port with snappy clips for an external battery connection, so I could use that via the Audew or just connect the jumper to the jump points?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Showing my ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:45 pm

I would use the jumper points as those definitely supply power to the whole vehicle. I have used my CTEK in ‘supply’ mode rather than ‘charge’ mode on both the 3 series and X6 and retained everything just fine.

I’m uncertain as the exactly what connecting via the OBD2 port would feed into and although it’s supposed to be a ‘standard’ port, the car behind it might be anything but!

ISTR that I put the battery +ve lead on an insulator whilst swapping the battery, just so it didn’t touch anything and short the charger out by accident. I also made sure the X6 was asleep so as to keep the current draw as low as possible.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:51 pm

Thanks. So if the Audew is connected on the jumper points, does that mean the actual battery terminals need careful handling.?

it's not only BMW who put batteries in daft places, on my old Touareg it's under the front passenger seat :x

Ah, noted your addition. :)
Last edited by sapphireblack on Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Showing my ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:52 pm

As above, just be careful with the +ve lead. My VW had its battery under the back seat.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:41 pm

So I have now been shopping and choice is very unlike UK options. I have been advised by the vehicle makers to purchase a 019 520A 110Ah

For a recognisable brand, so far the only offer I can generate is an Exide, that's fair enough, it is 520A but only 100Ah. It's also a cool 180€

Showing my ignorance is that a viable compromise difference, or do I need to dig deeper into Greek resourcess

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Showing my ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:24 pm

No 019 format batteries in the UK with 520A CCA. They’re all at least 800A CCA and between 80A and 105A. That’s only the cold-start maximum current draw rating and you should never need that much. Most starters are around 180A for a big 3.0L lump like the X6. The Touareg will depend upon the lump fitted but probably won’t be much different.

Tayna list the 019 or 020 format depending upon year and engine:
2464114B-47E4-4010-AA48-E71E0DAA2CC1.jpeg
2464114B-47E4-4010-AA48-E71E0DAA2CC1.jpeg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:46 pm

Thank you, your input always relevant and appreciated. As I feared when I started this search options are severely restricted in comparison to the UK.

The car is like it's owner, old, 2005, the engine fitted is the rather pedestrian 2500 Tdi. If the 100Ah in lieu of a 110Ah is acceptable then I'll take the easier route and get an Exide ordered. I am somewhat confused by what VW UK say I should buy, 520A seems woefully low compared to your suggestion. I think I'm going to have to get under the passenger seat to see what's fitted, a bit of a pita, I would have preferred a Yuasa or Bosch over Exide, but so be it 🙂

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Showing my ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:04 pm

A lower rated battery just means it won’t last as long ‘off charge’ and the alternator may need to work a bit harder to keep the charge state up. The latter will have some impact on fuel economy as more ‘load’ from the alternator needs more fuel.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:17 pm

Continued thanks, and I feel should know at least some of this stuff 😊. My BMWs have always had main dealer attention and I've not needed to know even this kind of stuff in a rather long time. Now I do, albeit it's not regarding a BMW, it's embarrassing.

I've popped a message to Tayna and will I think just ignore the advice from VW. When I see lists suggesting 800A the suggestion of 520A seems odd and wrong. Maybe applicable in 2005 but not now?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Showing my ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:12 pm

Might be metric amps instead of Imperial amps…. :P :P :P

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:03 am

I've concluded the makers info is suspect but what to do now I'm not sure 🤔

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:20 am

520a sounds very low for the 2.5tdi.
I had a 2002 A6 with the 2.5 v6 in it and went for the biggest 019 battery i could get.
Can't remember Bosch or Vatar but got it from Tayna batteries.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:29 am

Well I've fired another question to VW UK. Battery types are clearly not my forte and buying the wrong type would be costly.

I'll see what Tayna say but I'm very open to suggestions on capacity

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:18 pm

I gathered myself up with assorted tools and accessed the darker recesses of VWs under seat battery location. I swear it's worse than the E53 saga I recall so very well. Lots of fiddly trim to remove before the seat will eventually hinge backwards

Long story short, the inbuilt battery indicator shows battery health is OK. Conclusion, if I needed confirmation is, lots of short runs knacker a battery pretty quickly. Moral, drive it more or possibly walk more 😁

Sorted the problem but not the bigger issue.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Showing my ignorance

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 am

I have never trusted that green eye on a battery.
Seen one not long ago (Saturday mornings spent at a m8s garage) in a pile of failed batteries and still showing green.
As you say short trips shops schools and the sort will soon flatten the battery.
I have the CTEK quick connectors on both my cars for that reason and top up once a month.