Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear o/s wheel bearing

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
ssrfr03

Rear o/s wheel bearing

Post by ssrfr03 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 pm

Hi all has anyone changed the rear wheel bearing ?
Is it easy or hard and do you just replace the bearing or stub axel as well thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rear o/s wheel bearing

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:34 pm

I doesn’t look easy, but this video may help a bit:

https://youtu.be/W8xTiUt0Lu4

BMW use a special hydraulic toolset to do the work.

In simple terms you need to remove the rear calliper & brake disk, rear parking brake shoes and then press (this is where the special toolset comes into play) the drive flange out of the bearing. A rear wheel bearing kit should contain all the key parts and bolts (the bolts MUST be replaced as they are single use only, as is the flange nut). Reassembly requires the drive flange to be pressed into place again (special toolset again), parking brake shoes, disc and calliper replaced.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Rear o/s wheel bearing

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:07 pm

Id say the first problem you will encounter is the driveshaft nut flats will be totally rotten and there will be no way to easily remove it , Ive seem mine when the diff was being replaced and they would need drilled out and split to get them off , It's a common bmw problem as they age . I had a front bearing replaced and my mechanic said it took nearly 10 ton of pressure to get it out , they are supposed to just lift out :rofl: Id suggest you get a garage to do it with the correct tools or just get another hub and driveshaft assembly secondhand would actually be easier :D