Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 Rear Camber issues

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Swirly

E53 Rear Camber issues

Post by Swirly » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 am

Here go's I've read all sorts of threads on it, rear tyres are wearing rapidly on the inside edge, any body have any recommendations for a full bush kit for the back end and what should be replaced

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

E53 Rear Camber issues

Post by henrym3 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:44 pm

3320C2F9-EAA2-433A-B515-CB400BD3F3BD.png
3320C2F9-EAA2-433A-B515-CB400BD3F3BD.png (213.56 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Here’s a pic of the rear suspension If your camber is out then first step is to check if it can be adjusted by someone who uses Hunter alignment equipment and more important they know how to use the bloody equipment. If you’re going to throw your wallet at it and replace everything then the 2 bushes in item 15 item 2 3 4 6 11.
Item 2 is probably where your problem is as this bearing never gets checked as it requires the air suspension the be deflated to check it for play. It requires a special tool to remove/replace as do the bushes. Not knowing your DIY capabilities as to whether you can do it yourself or not. It’s all within the scope of a competent DIYer even if you buy the pullers and parts of the bay it will be a 1/3 the price of a garage. Take longer.
If you get the alignment checked make sure rear toe is 0.05/7 more than 0.07 gives you the problem you have now. Camber within BMW spec even at outer limit.

Themoog2

E53 Rear Camber issues

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:12 pm

Camber is not the main cause of inside tyre wear - it’s toe. I’ve replaced all the bushes on mine (twice) and I set up the camber on its minimum setting with the car jacked up and air bags deflated then it’s easy. I also did the toe by setting up tight strings on either side and getting equal measurements on each wheel.
When I took it to the local Hunter machine after it was very close.
The camber bolts can be very tough to adjust with the weight of the car on them and if the eccentric washer pushes over the lip as mine did then it’s a whole other ball game.
It’s pretty easy to do and quite satisfying as I cleaned and painted the rear subframe etc as I did it.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

E53 Rear Camber issues

Post by henrym3 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:33 pm

I completely agree about the toe, way more important than camber hence to make sure toe is in the 0.05 area. I’m on 23k atm on 315s with plenty of life left. I put that down to getting the toe sorted