Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash cam hardwired

Lyons

Dash cam hardwired

Post by Lyons » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:19 am

Yup, both are 20A. Just strange that the cigarette lighter was working. May be an issue with the hardwire cable, that’s the only thing I can think of.

Might just leave it in and get someone to properly hardwire it, but it’s niggling at me!

It’s a Nextbase 522 from memory.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dash cam hardwired

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:53 pm

Sounds like an issue with the power converter itself. Given there are only two wires (+ve and ground) there nothing else in there to get wrong.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Lobster Pot

Dash cam hardwired

Post by Lobster Pot » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:13 pm

If you’re using the parking mode you will want it to be permanent live to keep the battery charged as the batteries don’t last long with nextbase units they use very little power once shut down which is normally after a min or two I’ve had mine fitted on 2 BMWs now and never had a drain issue

Lyons

Dash cam hardwired

Post by Lyons » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:57 pm

X5Sport wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:09 pm I’ve now moved it and tapped off the cigar lighter feed when I replaced the Roadhawk 2 with a Nextbase 622GW (needs a bit more power). You can get to it by removing the trim above the pedals (4 screws) and you can see a screw that holds the transmission tunnel side trim at the forward end. Remove the screw and carefully slide the trim forwards. The 12V socket feed is Green with a Red tracer on mine. The power supply for the Nextbase is just resting in the trim above the pedals.

IMG_2677.jpeg
Thinking I might just do the same on mine. Did you use a ground somewhere, or tap into the earth at the same point there too just? If the latter, do you know what colour it was?

Did you put an inline fuse holder in too, or just rely on the fuse for the cigarette lighter to cover it?

Lyons

Dash cam hardwired

Post by Lyons » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:25 pm

Well I had the above wire exposed, stripped the cigarette lighter plug off an old cable ready to hardwire it, but thought I’d have another go at yesterdays effort first. Lo and behold it worked today! No idea why as I literally didn’t do anything different, but I’m not complaining. Got all the wires connected up and tucked out of the way and it’s 100%.

Thanks for your assistance!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dash cam hardwired

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:47 am

Glad you got there, and to answer your questions above….

+ Found an earth via a screw going into the body, rather than a wired ground.
+ In line fuse also included.

Also fitted ferrite chokes at both front and rear. Rear one is essential if you have DAB, and needs to be as close to the camera as you can sensibly get (in my case right next to the camera body).

If running the wires down the A-pillar, and you have airbags in there, removed the trim cover and cable tie the wires to the main loom. Removes any risk of the wires preventing the airbag from deploying properly.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.