Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

More ignorance

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:49 pm

What is it makes the audible click when indicating or switching on hazard lights? The indicators work perfectly.

In yesteryear i think this was a relay from memory?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:31 pm

I believe it’s a clicky-thing (technical term….) or pulse generator in the footwell module. I haven’t checked, but it might even be a pulse sent to a speaker. It’s not itemised in the technical guide. That probably means it’s a whole (expensive) new module when it fails! :cry:

In the pre-computerised car age, you’re right. It was a good old relay in the supply line to the lamps.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:38 pm

Silence is golden then, assuming the MOT man isn't going to raise his sword 🤔

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:20 pm

MOT Manual doesn’t say no sound is an issue. I’ve had a quick squint around tinternet and the suggestions are that it’s some kind of thermo-mechanical device on the binnacle PCB.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by Leslie » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:14 pm

Things like indicators are now controlled by the light control module which is very expensive to swap out when it fails in more recent models , £25 relay naw mate its a grand now to fix something like a fast flashing indicator as a friend on mine found out on an e93 :headbang:

StuBeeDoo

More ignorance

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:47 am

Back in my younger days, on some (maybe even all....) BMC models, certainly the '60s Mini and 1100, you couldn't hear the relay clicking so you had to rely on the tell-tale lamp which was on the end of the indicator switch stalk. :o
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:42 pm

🤣 force of habit and a slow brain, i posted my question here but it was regarding my older Touareg 😳

FWIW, on that car there is a speaker inside the instrument binnacle. €30 delivered to me here in Greece. But it looks like an interesting task to access it. Modern cars 😩

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:06 pm

Having just taken delivery of my new one, it took almost two hours to go through the new systems and settings in the iDrive 8. I’ve also had a look at the TIS for the car and it is something that I doubt any home mechanic will ever be able to work on. Most of it needs special tools, procedures and test harnesses to do anything with it, never mind the fact that fingers in the wrong place connects you to 470V DC!! It’s why I put a service pack on it. Only £400 for 4 years, unlimited mileage. About 1/2 that of an ICE vehicle.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by Leslie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:33 pm

The warranty is definitely needed on that X5sport , the days of home mechanics are over for that new generation , you will be fully plugged into the dealer network from now on not just the mains :rofl:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by sapphireblack » Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm

In case its relevant to anyone , in VWs case this is a mini 32ohm speaker inside the instrument cluster (why?). Not the hardest thing to access in fairness but a fair bit of trim to be removed. Another example of a more complex than necessary exercise to replace it?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 07, 2023 4:37 pm

Leslie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:33 pm The warranty is definitely needed on that X5sport , the days of home mechanics are over for that new generation , you will be fully plugged into the dealer network from now on not just the mains :rofl:
Too true… :cry:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by Leslie » Sun May 07, 2023 9:14 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm In case its relevant to anyone , in VWs case this is a mini 32ohm speaker inside the instrument cluster (why?). Not the hardest thing to access in fairness but a fair bit of trim to be removed. Another example of a more complex than necessary exercise to replace it?
The new one should outlast the car now :thumbsup:
Due to the x5 being too thirsty and complex I have bought a workhorse old Passat b6 (non common rail pd engine and no DPF to worry about as its too old :thumbsup: ) so hopefully the x5 will be doing a lot less miles and not break my bank account so often :rofl: :driving: 6 speed manual bloody hell manual gearboxes are tricky after running an auto for near 5 years :oops: :driving: A step back in technology for me but there is too much month at the end of the money this last few months and its looking grim at work too with a pay cut( at best) looming so best get prepared !

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon May 08, 2023 5:52 am

Leslie
I thought it was just me with the manual box.
Just picked up a 10 plate e90 320d with the6 speed manual box and as you say it takes some getting used to after i think 14 years auto.
Used to drive with any amount of gears up to 18 i think it was and some working away from you and never even thought about it just jumped in ans away to Spain or some ware.
I think we are getting old lol.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More ignorance

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 08, 2023 10:37 am

We’ve got a manual E46 as the diesel version wasn’t available with an auto due to not being able to hit the EU4 emissions if fitted with one. I don’t drive it very often, and have stalled on the odd occasion pulling up at roundabouts :oops: The i4 has no gearbox at all but I still find myself reaching for the shifter, even though that was removed from March ‘23 across most BMWs with auto boxes.

I even try to use the non-existent clutch pedal in the X6 after driving the E46 too!!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

More ignorance

Post by Leslie » Mon May 08, 2023 6:07 pm

Sounds good Alan we just need to relearn old skills , I did an extreme economy test today stuck behind a dithering newish discovery for a good few miles with no overtaking possible and got an amazing 76 mpg over 20 miles :D best the x5 could do was 34 on same route :driving: x5sport I also forgot to dip the clutch coming to a stop when I first got it and stalled it and went from 5th back to 6th instead of 4th in a roundabout and then couldn't find any gear as I frantically stirred the coal bucket :oops: