Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NO Crank help please

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5Andym

NO Crank help please

Post by X5Andym » Sat May 13, 2023 10:11 am

E53 issue no crank, (2005 4.4L v8) starter motor and ECU units tested ok... told maybe a broken/corroded wire.. anyone had the same issue? easy to find and fix.. I hope so.. đź‘Ť where do you start, garage to carry out point to point wire check, any help please would be great... :thumbsup:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

NO Crank help please

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 13, 2023 11:01 am

Battery OK? Might seem obvious but sometimes a battery gives 12V until you put load on it then it drops and won’t deliver. A starter may test as good but how much current is it actually drawing? Should be no more than 180A. Faulty ones can draw 900A. If the dash lights go out when you try to crank, that points to a high current draw starter.

Auto gearbox in Park, and have you tried it in Neutral? There is a sensor on the gear shifter that detects P/N. If it doesn’t detect those positions (or goes faulty) it will inhibit engine crank.

Any error codes recorded at all?

Starter solenoid working (you should hear a clunk). Is there 12V on it when the key is turned to the starter position?

Keys OK? It could be the immobiliser (EWS) not detecting the key codes and staying locked out. I can’t remember if that allows cranking but no start, or inhibits cranking as well.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5Andym

NO Crank help please

Post by X5Andym » Sun May 14, 2023 9:09 am

Hi Mate..

Trust you are well.. thank you very much for your reply.. my X5 is in a garage and I who hope they would have checked all the above.. went in 10 weeks ago now, had a intermediate starting issue (maybe starter motor) new one fitted then no crank.. had the units key sent away for testing came back OK.. as I said they (the mechanic) thinks it could be broken/corroded wire ? so going to carry out a point to point wire check.. which I hope solves the problem.. the car maybe 17/18 years old but only 41,000 miles on the clock and in great condition well I think... so would be very sad if I had to bin it.. but hat can I do with a none running 4.4 V8 X8. :| :x

Cheers Andy

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

NO Crank help please

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 14, 2023 9:24 am

If all they did was change the starter, that points towards bad wiring (or they forgot to reconnect something). End to end check will find out. Wiring for starter motor & relay (top), Starter motor option 1 (middle), option 2 (bottom). Not a lot to check.
IMG_2668.jpeg
IMG_2668.jpeg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 442 times
IMG_2669.jpeg
IMG_2669.jpeg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 442 times
IMG_2670.jpeg
IMG_2670.jpeg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 439 times
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.