Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mirror not dipping

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue May 16, 2023 5:57 am

Since I fitted new mirror covers last week, the passenger side one doesn't dip when I reverse. I know the switch has to be set to the driver's side, so that isn't the problem.

TBH, when I refitted the glass on that side it was catching on the frame and wouldn't move at all until I moved it manually.

Any suggestions, please, chaps?

TIA
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Mirror not dipping

Post by sapphireblack » Tue May 16, 2023 6:04 am

Is the replacement cover definitely not fouling the mirror?

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue May 16, 2023 7:17 am

The glass moves fine with normal adjustment using the button, it just doesn't dip when I select reverse.

I'm wondering if the module has run-up the white flag because I tried too many times to get the glass to move before I realised it was caught.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat May 20, 2023 4:46 pm

I've had the glass out again. I think I have somehow stripped teeth off the mech. that moves the mirror side-to-side. Obviously that won't be the problem with the tipping function. I didn't, however, take the cover off to check for wiring damage.

A trawl around the 'net suggests to check if the reversing lights are working. I assume the tipping function must be controlled through the rev. lights switch.

I might have another look, including having the cover off again, in the next couple of days. If it's not something with a simple(ish) cure it's either live with it, or a replacement mirror unit. :o

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Mirror not dipping

Post by sapphireblack » Wed May 24, 2023 7:51 am

If these issues started from changing the cover, logic says it must be related 🤔

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed May 24, 2023 2:02 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:51 amIf these issues started from changing the cover, logic says it must be related 🤔
I know. :( As above, I know I've stripped some teeth off the side-to-side drive, but up and down is OK, so the reverse-dip should work.

I'm going to have the cover off again this afternoon. It's almost as if the switch is in the wrong position - but it isn't. I got Wor Lass to check the reversing lights the other day and she says they are fine.

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed May 24, 2023 4:03 pm

Right, I've been out there since my last post and had it all apart again. There is no obvious reason for it not dipping;- no trapped/obviously damaged wires. TBH, it's got to be a coincidence with its source elsewhere. There is no reason for specific wiring in the mirror itself, all that is needed is a sensor somewhere that that detects when reverse is selected and activates the up/down motor in the mirror as necessary - providing the switch is set to the driver's side. All the other mirror electrics work as they should.

For the foreseeable I'll just operate the mirror myself, when necessary. I don't suppose anything will come-up on a scan, but I might try anyway -maybe tomorrow.

marti

Mirror not dipping

Post by marti » Wed May 24, 2023 4:10 pm

Tried the magic battery reset ??...disconnect battery for 1/2hr.

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed May 24, 2023 4:53 pm

Could try it, I suppose...........

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mirror not dipping

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 24, 2023 6:39 pm

Dipping was the first thing we lost on the E46 and that’s now progressed to loss of all functionality. I need to get the door apart to see if the ribbon cable is cracked and the connections are clean. The electronics for the mirror are £400!! It’s controlled from the Driver’s side mirror and has a small module on the passenger door itself fed from the other door. Complicated or what!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Mirror not dipping

Post by sapphireblack » Wed May 24, 2023 8:22 pm

I'm some distance from my X6 right now, but isn't there a lead connection point in the door jamb grommet?

The wiring within fails over time as it fractures. An easy point/place to start looking?

That said i eventually gave up trying to sort these kinds of issues on my E53. In the end, i bit the bullet and replaced both sides. Over £1000 at the time and it was only the internals, frame, cover, glass were all re-used.

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu May 25, 2023 10:19 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:03 pmI don't suppose anything will come-up on a scan, but I might try anyway -maybe tomorrow.
Well, whaddayaknow.......... I've just scanned it and the FRM is showing 2 faults - left exterior mirror potentiometer faulty and left exterior mirror heater faulty. I've reset it, and will report back next time I drive the car.

There's a secondhand mirror on eBay at the moment for £120. I'm not a fan of secondhand parts but I might give it a try, if necessary.

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri May 26, 2023 4:31 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:19 amI've reset it, and will report back next time I drive the car.
The fault came straight back. It's definitely a case of either live without the reverse-dip function or replace the mirror. If the heater function is still faulty as well (haven't scanned it again yet, so not sure) I probably will replace the mirror, as the car lives outside all year round.

StuBeeDoo

Mirror not dipping

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri May 26, 2023 8:20 pm

There's an eBay seller with a brand new genuine BMW motor assembly. It's not much more than the secondhand mirror assembly, so I'm very tempted.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Mirror not dipping

Post by sapphireblack » Sat May 27, 2023 6:06 am

If that motor comes with any warranty and the swap means not having to remove the door card, i think that's where my focus would be. Door card removal is always a pita.