Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello everyone and help please!!

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Tayyab

Post by Tayyab » Sat May 27, 2023 8:35 am

Hi everyone..New to the forum. Currently driving a 120d coupe e82 but decided to treat myself so have bought a 65 plate X6. Bought as known faulty car as it doesnt start due to im told a transmission fault.
So the issue is it doesnt start and also doesnt roll. The dash and the gear selector say its in neutral but when i release the handbrake and push it feels like its in Park. When the front and back are raised individually then the wheels turn freely as they should but when on the ground then will not move.
I think the battery is bad anyway so i will be changing that and then running a scan.
Any other help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 27, 2023 9:32 am

Firstly…. :hi:

Bad batteries in these cars can cause all kinds of problems so it’s a good place to start from.

We’re probably not going to be able to help you much without any of error codes. Have you any indication of what happened before you bought the car? Does it crank at all, even in N or P with your foot on the brake, or just not even turn over? The ZF 8-sp box is known to be very reliable.

Worth draining the engine oil to see if there’s anything like metal swarf in there.

Although the dash says it’s in Neutral, is it? If it won’t roll even in N, then I would be suspicious that it is actually in N. There is an emergency release under the car, but that is usually only to get it out of P.

Have you tried rotating the wheels in pairs in the same direction? Moving one at a time just tells you that diff isn’t locked. If a pair won’t move normally that points (to me) at a diff issue. Could be a transfer box issue, but I’ve not seen any record on here of one locking up completely.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.