Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD scanner

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by sapphireblack » Sun May 28, 2023 7:14 pm

I've never had one, but maybe i should persue this at last? No laptop in my life so a tablet or phone has to be my option, will that do?

Carly is the way forward it seems but looking on their website, there seem to be a few options and a special offer currently. What should i buy? Its most likely usage will only be coding and tinkering as I'm averse to working on the oily areas of any vehicle by choice.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OBD scanner

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 28, 2023 7:42 pm

I have had Carly for a number of years, and recently updated their scan head as the version I was using didn’t fully support the E71 for coding. You do need to use their adapter - which works well via WiFi & Bluetooth on my iPad and phone. I don’t have Android so no idea about that, but I assume it’s the same. Check which versions of iOS/iPadOS & Android are supported. Older versions won’t work!

I only have the BMW options as I only have BMWs. Carly used to be a one off fee, but is now an annual sub. It’s good, and probably safer than using Bimmercode or ISTA/INPA (BMW’s software) as I don’t think you can brick the car and the learning curve is much simpler. I’m not in the market for bricking my car!

One thing to note is that just because the App says it can code something, doesn’t mean in reality that the coding works. It may work, or it may not. This is down to the wide variation in modules, options and functions that change with each car model and each model year. Carly also caters to markets that may not have the same functions as the UK. You can also pay a small additional fee to Carly for support if any error codes you may pickup.

It works well with my E46 and E71 and has identified and confirmed issues with both (brake pressure valves on the E46 and glowplugs on the E71), thus saving diagnostic costs. It constantly reports a fault with an Aux water pump in the E71, but that pump isn’t fitted!

I also used it on the F46 (Gran Tourer) to show a main dealer that there were issues they needed to fix under warranty. The Service Person was dismissive of the printout, but they soon found exactly the same with their software - point to Carly! It doesn’t yet support my G26 i4, but I’m not going to be playing with that anyway - it really is a computer on wheels. Someone tried a mod on their i4 and bricked the car. £4,500 to fix, warranty voided! The reason was they failed to follow a specific process to disconnect the 400V battery, and fried something.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by sapphireblack » Mon May 29, 2023 5:47 am

Annual subs aren't appealing given i'll use it very little, but I've asked the makers to suggest what i purchase based on the vehicle details that i have submitted.

I've only Andoid stuff myself, and the phone is getting on in years, so maybe it's not going to be viable?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OBD scanner

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 29, 2023 10:27 am

Worth checking what the minimum supported versions are. I can’t see from their support page - and that’s something that should be there IMHO. The ‘Lite’ version is very limited in what you can do. I think it will read things, but doesn’t allow resets etc, and won’t code anything.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by sapphireblack » Mon May 29, 2023 11:14 am

It will be interesting to read what Carly advise 🙂

Lobster Pot

OBD scanner

Post by Lobster Pot » Mon May 29, 2023 4:24 pm

I’ve got BimmerLink and BimmerCode running off a vgate icar pro adapter both very simple to use once you’ve bought the apps it’s yours for life

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by sapphireblack » Mon May 29, 2023 5:58 pm

For an old geezer like me that may as well be written in Swahili 🤔

Lobster Pot

OBD scanner

Post by Lobster Pot » Mon May 29, 2023 6:42 pm

Exactly same as Carly but no annual subscription

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by sapphireblack » Mon May 29, 2023 7:11 pm

A very quick Google suggests neither offer coding options? That's initially what i would uise most !!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OBD scanner

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 29, 2023 7:35 pm

Bimmercode will very definitely offer coding. Not on the free version, but the paid one will. Yours is an E71 in the 2008-2014 ‘block’ (ISTR?) and that’s supported. I also think it’s a one-off purchase (plus the dongle). It’s supposed to be very good - I constantly come across references to it elsewhere.

If you want the VW version, then it’s VCDS (but did need a laptop from memory) as the ‘mobile’ version isn’t that good. I had a colleague at work with it who used to code anyone’s VAG car. Looked at it myself for the Škoda Superb, but gave the car back early and have stuck with BMW ever since.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by sapphireblack » Mon May 29, 2023 7:41 pm

Dissapointed that I've not heard from Carly today tbh.
Last edited by sapphireblack on Mon May 29, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OBD scanner

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 29, 2023 7:42 pm

Public Holiday? It is in the UK.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by sapphireblack » Mon May 29, 2023 7:43 pm

Ah yes ☺️

Lobster Pot

OBD scanner

Post by Lobster Pot » Mon May 29, 2023 8:11 pm

That’s why I have both as when I changed my battery bimmerlink registers it bimmercode codes it along with does most codings I’ve codes mirrors to close on lock and turned rear lights of on drl

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

OBD scanner

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue May 30, 2023 5:14 am

Had carly 5 years ago it did what i wanted but at a hefty price after buying there obd dongle as well also got caught out with there auto renew.
Needed to do some coding bits just of late but this time no way was i paying for carly so i went for bimmercode.
The dongle was a lot less and a one off payment for software cost me less than 12 months sub's for carly.
From memory i think it does the same as carly.
Dongle was the Vgate iCar Pro at £26.