Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vibration on accelerating 30d

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:54 am

Hi guys, was wondering if any of you guys are familiar, basically when accelerating a little harder than normal I can feel a vibration through the pedal and the seat. What would cause this but soon as I release the pedal it stops. Any ideas?

marti

Post by marti » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:39 am

There's loads of reasons to be honest....here's a few:

https://cartreatments.com/car-shakes-accelerating/

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:54 am

Worn engine mounts allowing the engine to rock under load / propshaft centre bearing or front joint (front joint is only on later x5s my 35d didn't have one , if it sounds like going over a rumble strip at the side of the road torque converter on the way out (usually only in top gear I think as the lockup isn't holding anymore on the TC )
Could me many things, what does it sound ,what gear is it happening in , does it get worse with speed etc ?

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:14 pm

I hear a sound at low speed it's as though a bearing is worn but then as speed builds up goes away. I read somewhere it's due to Dunlop RFTs. However when I accelerate at higher speed say 40mph there's a vibration I can feel through pedal and my seat. It only happens If I accelerate abit harder doesn't happen if it's gradual

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:50 pm

Sounds like it could be a wheel balance issue or a sticking brake caliper to me?

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:54 pm

What about propshaft bearing? Or the rubber Guibo or whatever you call it. Would wheel balance issue arise on acceleration because there is no vibration at s constant speed?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:03 pm

As Marti suggested, plenty of options unfortunately. Caliper and wheel balancing are easy to look into before the more difficult possibilities need to be investigated 🙂

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:13 pm

Propshaft bearing is worth a look, as are engine mounts. Any movement in a propshaft joint needs close investigation. The E70/71 went through a time when the front prop would snap due to corrosion but I don’t think it gave any warnings! Never seen it reported on the F15.

I’ve found a reference to it being the transfer case at low rpm, but your is under power.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1908940

Fixed by a fluid change and settings reset. When did you last have the transfer case fluid changed and the system reset (needs BMW INPA/ISTA/NCS Expert software or something that can at least talk to the transfer case controller).

For some petrol models a coil pack may be the source.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:19 pm

Yea I mean I can say it is not significantly related to speed, the symptom presents itself when accelerating. Due to mileage 149k miles it's possible the bearing or the rubber part not sure of the name Guibo something along those lines or propshaft bearing.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:02 pm

Guibo (flex coupling) for BMWs comes up a lot on YouTube for the symptoms that you describe. See if a search for BMW X5 F15 Guibo does anything for you…

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:22 pm

Thanks guys I'll have a look. Appreciate you guys being very helpful, even though its not the busiest forum, which I suppose is a good thing. As shows they don't have alot of issues

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:56 pm

I don’t know where everyone went, but I guess that after the E53, these cars have got so much harder to do any diy on (or even do much coding) alongside the rise of social media, that the memberships are limited.

If I remember correctly, the E53 pretty much came with a single standard loom and none of the FSC keys now so prevalent. That made adding stuff a doddle in most cases. You need to be a computer graduate, hacker, tinkerer, own a large toolset, or have deep pockets to do much at all on newer models. Even the parts databases are now dealer only access.

The industry decided years ago that it didn’t want owners to be able to diy as it wanted them through dealerships doors. My last Škoda (a cheaper Audi really) had an 8,000 page service manual. I’ll bet something like my i4 has one nearer 11,000 pages and needs loads of special tooling and training. At present no Indy’s will go near it.

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:59 am

Just an update so basically I have had the front drive shafts replaced. They did have some play in them especially the right side. However I am still having some vibration although I would say it has reduced.