Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

‘Adding Value’ at service!

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:04 am

Last Autumn my X6 was put through the MOT with no issues found or advisories issued.

A week later it had work done by a main dealer that included a ‘Safety Inspection’, something that they do every time a car goes in. That found an Amber issue with the front right suspension. Amber meaning it isn’t yet urgent but should be done within a couple of months. Unsurprisingly I was a bit suspicious (like many I don’t trust the motor industry generally) and money was tight so I took a chance and left it.

A few days back (roughly 9 months later) the X6 went in for an oil service plus fuel filter and recall for front airbags. A safety inspection was carried out at the same time. Funnily enough no issues were found with the car at all.

So, was it an attempt to add value, or just a technician’s view that another technician didn’t seem to be concerned about? If it was that bad I would have expected a main dealer who carried out the MOT (same Dealer) to find it then (given they were a week apart!).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:47 am

A vertu dealership by any chance?

I had this a few times with daughters Skoda at a Bristol Street motors (vertu) dealership, so won’t use any of that group any more.
Mot failed was told it needed new suspension arms as bushes worn at about £200 a side, when I questioned it and said what about just changing bushes, we can’t do that sir it has to be new assemblies m, but when I told them car had Skoda Mot failure insurance, they miraculously just changed the bushes at billed Skoda for about £20 a sideplus a bit of labour! Then there was, it needs a new battery as the test shows it’s failing, that will be £180 please said no thanks, I’ll look into it, two years later battery still fine!
And finally after annual service, advised rear brakes need a service, that will be £180 sir, said I’ll leave it for now. I got a local garage to check it out, they removed wheels and drums, checked, cleaned, adjusted and reassembled for substantially less, but said they didn’t really need doing!
Needless to say we won’t be going back the that dealership.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:52 pm

Wasn’t one of those dealers but have experienced the same with Škoda and changed dealers as a result.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:35 pm

Its no surprise dealer trust is low :rofl:

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:45 am

I’ve had the same Merc dealer giving me a scare about a fault in a similar ‘inspection’ which I decided to ignore, and the same dealer to NOT issue such warnings in later years. And the 🚗 is still fine :rofl:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:45 pm

Trust no one and we're off to a better start.

I have similar history, though not pertaining to the X6. I was suckered into two lower suspension arms on my Touareg at an MOT three years ago. The same place a year later tried the exact same scam. Not the most inteligent of MOT/repair centres. I declined

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:56 am

I don't use $tealerships, for anything other than parts, unless I absolutely have to - ie recalls.

When my F25 was in for its first EGR cooler recall, I got a 'phone call saying "Your car needs new tyres", but no explanation as to why. I didn't take them up on the offer, because I knew that the tread depths were all 3.5-4.25mm and the tyres were all in condition commensurate with their age. When I got the "health check sheet", hand-written on the bottom was "NON APPROVED TYRES!!"
They actually were *-marked tyres, Pirelli Sottozeros (it was the end of January) in the correct size, load, and speed ratings for the car. I double-checked the tread depths, and they were exactly what I remembered them to be from the week before the car went in.
The next EGR cooler recall, there was no mention of anything untoward on the health check - in spite of the car having non-approved tyres by that point.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:28 am

sapphireblack wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:45 pm I was suckered into two lower suspension arms on my Touareg at an MOT three years ago. The same place a year later tried the exact same scam. Not the most inteligent of MOT/repair centres. I declined
Funnily enough a National MOT company played that game with my wife’s E46 on its second test. It was checked elsewhere and no fault found. They were finally replaced last year when the year was 16.