Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Paddle shift

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:20 am

Just putting this out there.........

Paddle shift has never bothered me. But, recently, my wife bought a Citroen and it has paddles. I have actually been using them - although this could be more because hers is an automated manual, rather than a proper automatic

Now, I'm thinking about retrofitting paddles to my F25. It has sport auto (and several other "sport" accoutrements) so it should just be a case of sourcing a steering wheel and getting the correct VO coded. .......And I'm kind-of tempted to have the transmission coded to default to the sport setting at the same time.
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:40 am

:roll: Duplicate post.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paddle shift

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:37 pm

My car has them, used as a novelty after acquisition, i have never really bothered since. I like automatics for a reason 😉😃

Expense and aggravation involved you dont need to subject yourself to. Put it in "drive" like you always have and drive it.

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:39 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:37 pm My car has them, used as a novelty after acquisition, i have never really bothered since. I like automatics for a reason 😉😃

Expense and aggravation involved you dont need to subject yourself to. Put it in "drive" like you always have and drive it.
Yes, you're probably right. 👍

gmc15

Paddle shift

Post by gmc15 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:53 pm

Had them on my last couple of BMW's and never used them :D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:59 pm

Got them in the X6, and had them in the 2-er Gran Tourer. I do use them when overtaking rather than use kick down and also when the X6 engine is colder it tends to not want to use 8th below 60mph. On a dual carriageway in traffic I just nudge it into 8th early and it sits there perfectly happily.

I miss them in the i4 as BMW are now adding them in the new i5 to control driving ‘mode’ and recuperative braking level, something I have to take my hands off to push a button for. It can be retrofitted to the i4 by using the M3 steering wheel, but is a lot of work (due to the non-ICE power train).

For yours, I’ll bet it’s been done before so instructions will have been circulated on t’internet :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:55 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:59 pmFor yours, I’ll bet it’s been done before so instructions will have been circulated on t’internet :D
It has, they are, and 'wheels are available on everyone's favourite auction site. :)

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:51 am

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:37 pmExpense and aggravation involved you don't need to subject yourself to. Put it in "drive" like you always have and drive it.
You're absolutely right. :thumbsup: The vans we have at work are all autos (Merc Sprinters) - they have paddles and I very rarely use them, despite doing 75-125 miles per shift.

I suspect that, at least in the case of the Citroen, they are more useful on automated manual 'boxes.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:10 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:51 am I suspect that, at least in the case of the Citroen, they are more useful on automated manual 'boxes.
You’re probably right with that. I used to have a Škoda with the VAG ‘DSG’ box and pulling away from junctions/roundabouts it often got in a tizzy and pre-selected the wrong gears (2nd & 3rd) when I really needed first. Had more than a few close calls because of it. Horrible gearbox system!! Full-auto or proper manual only for me.

lezmtaylor

Paddle shift

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:05 pm

did the paddleshift conversion on my 2002 4.4 e53,using the e46 steering wheel, used it a couple of times now use '' kick down'', too much hassle to shift to'' sports mode '' and then use paddles.

Lez

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:01 am

X5Sport wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:59 pmI do use them when overtaking rather than use kick down and also when the X6 engine is colder it tends to not want to use 8th below 60mph. On a dual carriageway in traffic I just nudge it into 8th early and it sits there perfectly happily.
In spite of what I've posted above, I've decided to go for it. X5Sport's comments ^^^ have been preying on my mind ever since I read them. My car is reluctant to select 8th at much below 70mph, so giving it a nudge earlier would be handy. In sport mode, which I rarely use, it doesn't select 8th until over 80mph! :o
I've found a 'wheel from a <45k mile car for a decent price. It would have been rude not to...........

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paddle shift

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:14 am

With a blanket 20mph limit being propsed for Wales, and i read this morning unspecified numbers of English towns are contemplating the same, there will no place or point in 'spirited' driving. I also read of a so called harsh breaking camera being considered. This apprently detects sudden deceraration at a fixed camera point and chucks a fine in the post.

Yes im old, yes i am doubtless curmudgeonly, but its getting to a point where driverless cars make sense. All the fun of driving oneself is gone already.

And before anydody jumps, I'm not proposing or suggesting breaking speed limits.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:20 am

Just so you are aware, on the X6 when in Sport mode, using the paddles will shift the car into Manual mode. In ‘Auto’ it will do a temporary shift into whatever gear you wanted and then revert to Auto again after a short delay. On mine as long as the engine is not too cold, it will not decide to drop a cog to 7th unless there’s a throttle input. Once the engine is fully warmed, it will only drop back to 7th below 60mph depending upon throttle demand.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:23 am

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:14 am With a blanket 20mph limit being propsed for Wales, and i read this morning unspecified numbers of English towns are contemplating the same, there will no place or point in 'spirited' driving. I also read of a so called harsh breaking camera being considered. This apprently detects sudden deceraration at a fixed camera point and chucks a fine in the post.

Yes im old, yes i am doubtless curmudgeonly, but its getting to a point where driverless cars make sense. All the fun of driving oneself is gone already.

And before anydody jumps, I'm not proposing or suggesting breaking speed limits.
I noticed that large parts of leafy Surrey are now 40 limits where they used to be NSL.

The situation in Wales is farcical to be honest. My outlaws live there and I’m constantly having to pay attention to the 30/20 changes as they multiply every time we go there. In the villages where there is only one major road, keep it at 30mph, but by all means change the side roads down to 20. It’s already a 7-hour journey from home, and this doesn’t help.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paddle shift

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am

The paddles in my car are ornaments. The car itself is fun to drive but its all rather wasted now.

I will probably have said before, in my second home the Island has a blanket 50kph limit with the exception of one dead straight, recently refurbished road of about a ½ kilometre, thats a dizzy 60kph but which is difficult to achieve given the traffic on it. It's quite amusing locally that it's legal but unachievable.

Driving slowly is calming, almost therapeutic, and the destination is reached eventually. But the UK and Greece are very, very different tbf