Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto Light Switch operation

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
RichardPayler

Post by RichardPayler » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:29 pm

Hi, On all my previous BMWs (520 x2 530, i3 and Series 2) the auto switch puts the side lights on front and back and the instrument lights on the dash. Additionally the side lights on the caravan are on. My new(to me) 2015 X3 does not operate the rear side lights or the instrument lights or the caravan side lights. They all work if one uses the main lights position on the "dial" or if you drive into a tunnel!
How say people on this issue?
Thoughts welcome.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:24 pm

:hi:

Sidelights only in all of our BMWs since 2004 have been on the light switch ‘sidelight’ setting. The ‘auto’ light settings should only bring the headlights (plus side/taillights) on when needed. Sidelights only have never been switched by auto light control, only manual. All mine have had either Xenon/HID or LED/Laser light types, if that makes a difference.

Worth checking in the iDrive what the DRL settings are? My X6 has the option to have front only, front/rear or none. Our 2018 2-series had fronts permanently on and selectable options for the rear, my 2023 i4 is the same. My trailer lights (front and rear) only come on when the headlights come on or if the rear DRL have been selected. Our E46 is too old for DRLs and again sidelights only are a specific setting, ‘auto’ brings all the lights on when needed.

Your caravan lights should get power from pins 5 (left) & 7 (right) on a 13-pin connection. Front & rear are powered from the same pins.

If you aren’t getting sidelights at all, that points to an electrical issue and worth looking at the fuses. Do you get headlights on Auto or nothing at all? Are your auto-wipers also affected? If so that might be a sensor issue with the windscreen sensor itself.

I had a replacement windscreen on my old X5 and they missed a special optical bonding pad off which affected both lights & wipers.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

RichardPayler

Post by RichardPayler » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:54 pm

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. My son's x1 auto switch works as per my description.
I will check the idrive system again. Any thoughts on the instrument panel lights?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:41 pm

The only thing that I can think of is the dimmer perhaps? The iDrive may also have additional lighting settings. After that you might need diagnostics to check the Lighting Control Module (LCM) as that controls pretty much all lighting settings and actions.

Factory or aftermarket towbar? If OEM then that should not impact, but some aftermarket modules can.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.