Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car jumps on full turn

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Dave willow

Car jumps on full turn

Post by Dave willow » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:18 pm

Hi when we have to put the steering on full lock it seems like the car jumps ,you can feeling through the steering wheel, We have all terrain tyres on the car ,had the front wheels tracking done because had a new control arm fitted .any ideas please.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Car jumps on full turn

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:27 pm

The times I’ve seen this on here have always related to tyre choice. BMW xDrive cars are very sensitive to tyres and some can give rise to major issues including broken diffs or transfer boxes.

There was one several years back fitted with General Grabber (I think) and required a new front differential. Tyres were the cause as the rolling diameters weren’t matched. The outer diameter must be less than 2mm difference between any wheels and axle set.

It isn’t always the case, but over the years members have reported issues that go away as soon as the right tyres are fitted. The giveaway is almost always apparent as uneven movement in either direction at full lock and walking pace.

Other causes may be poor oil condition in the diffs. BMW say they are lifetime oils. As owners we know better!

Approved tyres are all marked with a ⭐️on the sidewall. You’re looking at Michelin, Dunlop, Continental, Bridgestone, Pirelli type (aka expensive) brands.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Dave willow

Car jumps on full turn

Post by Dave willow » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:04 am

Thanks for the reply, only had the car 3months .Bought the car with general grabbers on so now I now what the problem may be . Only 12 more issues to sort out :cry: thanks again .

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Car jumps on full turn

Post by Leslie » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:27 pm

Wonder how the last owner was using it to have those tyres on :rofl: sounds like its been used as a proper land rover :driving:

Lobster Pot

Car jumps on full turn

Post by Lobster Pot » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:03 pm

Dave willow wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:04 am Thanks for the reply, only had the car 3months .Bought the car with general grabbers on so now I now what the problem may be . Only 12 more issues to sort out :cry: thanks again .
I had all these problems last year when I bought mine changed the tyres had transfer box reset nothing helped ended up having a new transfer box so prepare for the worst expect a huge bill and hopefully you may get a surprise and it’s not gone as far as the worst case