Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Webasto

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Lets_rock87

Webasto

Post by Lets_rock87 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:58 pm

Hi everybody. Let me briefly explain the available features. Android multimedia available. There is no bm54 radio module. Connected with multimedia 6 meter extension cable. BMW i-bus resler interface is available. Auxiliary heater remote control available. I couldn't get the auxiliary heater to work at all. When I look at the vehicle information with the BMW Scanner 1.4 program, the STH (auxiliary heater) information appears as "unknown". I cannot reach the auxiliary heater at all. How can I activate the auxiliary heater? Thanks in advance for your help

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Webasto

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Have you had a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=445&hilit=Webasto ?

It’s a long one I know, but may contain the answers you need. You may need to build a remote control, but one question is whether the unit works at all? Many that age don’t either needing new PCBs or burners.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Webasto

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:01 am

Can't remember but i think you can test by putting power to pin 1 on the big plug on the heater.

X5E53Des

Webasto

Post by X5E53Des » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:52 pm

Sounds like your Webasto (if connected up) is faulty. Also be aware these can fail and run the fan and drain power if not caught in time!
This happened to me with a replacement used part. I cleaned and re-fitted my original unit and it has worked fine since. The burner area gets coked up and can be cleaned to bring it back to life. If your unit is working and connected, you can check this on a sub 6c day when it should kick in automatically and help warm the car up quicker, check for its fan exhaust running and putting warm exhaust air out of the Webasto exhaust located underneath the car behind the front left wheel with the engine running. You can feel it with your hand. You can code the Webasto with the BMW 1.4.0 software and cable mentioned. I used this just the other day to code mine. I now have the menu option to set the Webasto on heat timer though not tested it yet as waiting for colder weather now! I also recently retrofitted the telestart remote control for the Webasto (genuine new kit). Will fully test when the colder weather returns if it ever stops raining! Hope that helps!
Retrofitted heated rear leather seats today, nice and toasty now. Next upgrade I need is a chauffeur! :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Webasto

Post by X5Sport » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:25 pm

Wow, someone managed to find a Telestart kit. Those are getting kind of rare these days :winner:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Webasto

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 am

I gave up looking after 5 years lol.
Mine is 22 years old but still kicks in when it's cold enough.
Never understood why it stinks but it works that's all that matters.

X5E53Des

Webasto

Post by X5E53Des » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:01 am

There are after market units also available from Ebay sellers much cheaper but I just wanted to genuine kit as i am keeping my rare 6 speed high spec manual E53 forever regardless of road tax increases and everything else to try and deter fossil fuel owners! :D
Oh the stink is just the burning diesel fuel from the burner. Nothing you can do about that as long as it works and you want to use it!