Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smoking and strong exhaust smell

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:12 am

Hi guys just needed your help with this issue, basically when the car is driven a little harder or say uphill under load it seems to smoke and carries on smoking for a minute or two once coming to a stop. When I've got outside its a strong pungent smell, possibly unburnt diesel, it kind of stings my nose. Could this be adblue or unburnt diesel due to an over fueling injector?

The car has had its DPF deleted, Adblue delete, egr delete also. Would welcome your ideas. The car is a 2014 30d

marti

Post by marti » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 am

Does sound like over fueling injector or a sensor on its way out....what colour is the smoke???

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:01 pm

The colour seems to be dark grey, but strong stinging odour

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:07 pm

Ad Blue is basically pig wee in water and if you’ve had that deleted, then it isn’t using any. It would show steam, and you’d have to be using a lot!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:48 pm

Sounds like a turbo is on its last legs you usually get smoking as soon as you give it the gas, usually a grey/blue in colour , are you using a lot of oil now or is that sorted ? The dpf would have have disguised the oil smoke out the exhaust until it was drowning in the stuff but its disconnected now .

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:58 pm

The turbo is new, as in it was fitted 3000 miles again when engine was rebuilt, the smoke continues for a minute or two after being driven hard with a strong smell. Bit like diesel, my indi said could be excess diesel. Carly is dieing injector 4 and 5 is outside parameters.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:46 pm

They would need to be massively out to cause that problem or one is stuck open or something and it to be running like a bag of spanners and id expect black some if it was over fueling. Hoe far out does it say they are range is usually -5 to +4 with anything over +2 needs replaced .
Did it run fine when the new turbo was fitted till now?. You are having terrible trouble with this one for sure you must be sick of it now :(

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:04 pm

I don't know what the range is.
Is there any way of checking on the carly app?
Basically I bought the car with spun bearings and had a full rebuild. Replaced the following parts

Crank resurfaced
All bearings changed
2 x conrod changed
New piston rings X 6
All 6 injectors changed but they were used from Quarry motors.
New high pressure fuel pump.
New fuel rail.
New turbo
Glow plugs etc
All fuel lines cleaned.
All new gaskets

So basically I'm thinking unlikely to be the turbo, it's not used any oil, well according to the on board cpmputer. I need to check the actual dipstick.

Going back is there anyway I can check the readings on carly?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:28 am

I don't have or know much about carly but there may be a smooth running test on there which is what you want and would give you readings like I said above to compare the 6 injectors :thumbsup: maybe the underlying reason it spun the bearings originally is still there as it seems you have replaced pretty much everything but still having issues , it one of those nightmare cars :headbang: as it stands at the minute driving it is likely to soon cause major damage so id park it up until you find out more as this may have been how it went before but the dpf hid all the smoke etc until it was too late .
Injectors 5 and 6 tended to be the problems on e70's due to a cracked drain cover at the back of the engine letting water rain down on them in the engine bay and corroding them I dunno if it was still an issue on your model and apart from that were fairly reliable. The actual loom to them may be frayed so id check that and the pins for corrosion and find out what the exact codes you have are and google them to see if you can find out anything .
I don't see any mention of a timing chain there which was a known weak link on later cars , was it changed when the engine was out ?

marti

Post by marti » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:50 am

H4MP wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:01 pm The colour seems to be dark grey, but strong stinging odour
A dark or dirty grey color occurs when unburnt fuel blows out of the combustion chamber and mixes with the normal gasses found in the exhaust....the likely causes are as follows:

• Too much diesel fuel in the combustion chamber
• Fuel entering the combustion chamber too early due to faulty injection pump timing
• Too little air due to a restriction in the intake

You have said used injectors were fitted on the rebuild....so you dont know their mileage...

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:31 am

Leslie the spun bearings were due to oil starvation, the dpf has been recently removed. The adblue has been deleted jut it is still being used, I had to refill. Marti yes they were used so I'm guessing pointing towards injectors