Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre pressure monitor

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Hairdye

Tyre pressure monitor

Post by Hairdye » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:51 pm

Hi
Hope you guys can help me out if possible.
I can set the tyre pressure on the screen but when I go off that screen it doesnt work and state tpm not working.
Different people are telling me it should have the valves in the tyres, others are saying it works of the abs or something.
It did all work fine, however I had my wheels power coated and it was after this I noticed it ( quite a while after.
Can anyone help if my car should have the valves in the tyres or not please, its a November 2010 40d model.
Many thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyre pressure monitor

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:06 pm

The E70 uses the ABS to detect wheel rotation and from that can pick up when a tyre is low pressure as it rotates at a different rate. Active TPMS with radio valves came in later. Getting the wheels powder coated should not make any difference. I think the F15 X5 (next generation) has Active TPMS. Some V8 model E70s had it as it was mandatory in the US, so BMW put it on all markets for those. The valves have a solid stem rather than a rubber one.

Cars with ‘active’ TPMS will give you an actual pressure for each wheel. My X6 was built around the same time and uses the ABS based TPMS.

If it won’t set (done at low speed from memory) then there may be a separate problem. A code scan should pick up what the error is. If it says it isn’t working then to me that says something has failed.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre pressure monitor

Post by Leslie » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:38 pm

I'd check your tyre pressures and set them correctly as a start, on mine 2009 you reset it and it asks you if pressures are correct then it says you need to drive for it to activate monitoring.
As it uses abs if there is an active code it won't work as said.

Hairdye

Tyre pressure monitor

Post by Hairdye » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:08 am

Hi
There are no codes recorded for the tyre issue and as such I couldn't find the fault. The tyre pressures do set and show green but as soon as you come off that screen it fails. I have no idea what parts it could be that need replacing to make it work.
Many thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyre pressure monitor

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:34 pm

But if a long shot, but try resetting the iDrive. Hold the power button until the screen goes black and the BMW splash screen comes on. I have to do this on occasions when my radio disappears for some unidentified reason.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.