Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insurance

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by Leslie » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:30 pm

The price of headlights is crazy and for fairly cheap, run of the mill cars too , leds were supposed to be cheap as opposed to expensive xenons they replaced. Plus these are the first things to get broken in a minor crash and the lens is never separate which might be all its needs , no its bonded in and impossible to remove :headbang:
Insurance though are passing more on than needed I suspect as there are profit margins to maintain :fuelfire:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:52 pm

Just got my renewal offer for next month. £1226, if i stay with the NFU, who I've been with for ever. This will promp an alternative seach. Something i normally don't bother to do. Ridiculous money given the tiny mileage the car is used for. Not surprised but disappointed.

Big Bad Boris

Insurance

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:03 am

A really interesting discussion with more to come out of this I’m sure.

Just one possible worthwhile point to note, I read on Martins Money Tips that due to the way insurance company algorithms work the best time to get a renewal quote is 23 days before you are due, after that (or before in fact) it seems you will pay more. No logic in that for for us mere mortals, same car, same driver etc.. but apparently that’s how it works 🤷‍♂️

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:29 am

sapphireblack wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:52 pm Just got my renewal offer for next month. £1226, if i stay with the NFU, who I've been with for ever. This will promp an alternative seach. Something i normally don't bother to do. Ridiculous money given the tiny mileage the car is used for. Not surprised but disappointed.

Less than half the price from Swinton Insurance which appears to offer the same cover🤔

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Insurance

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:50 am

Ouch!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:21 am

Insurance is beyond frustrating. Swinton advise that as i have changed wheels from OE 19 to 20, albeit they are X6 OE wheels, its a modification. This is one reason why I've stayed wth the NFU for so long. Their approach to this sort of thing is sensible. It brings into question, what the deal is with 20" summer wheels and 19" winters?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:22 am

Trying to get clarity from insurace companies can be tedious
Car built with 19" wheels.
Changed to 20" OE option wheels
Added 19 OE wheels for winter tyres

They dont know what to tell me, :(

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by Leslie » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:43 am

All they usually want to know with wheels is are they oem for the model or an option then it shouldn't make any difference.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:58 am

My thoughts exactly. But the Meerkat website doesn't offer input for specific criteria. Is a 20" OE wheel a modification over the 19" if both are original to that model of car? If the car.is purchased pre-owned would the new owner know of the change, i suspect not. Aftermarket wheels i could understand, but all BMW wheels on a BMW should just be acceptable?

It seems there's no option to discuss, declare, or other the use of winter wheels either. Are they a mod despite making the car 'safer'?

I dont want to pay the NFUs renewal price but they are much easier to deal with and dont fuss over this nonsense

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:09 pm

Ignorance is bliss, supposedly. Swinton are only brokers, which I didn't know so if you buy via them i dont know who I'd be insured with. Add the wheels uncertainty and ill have to keep looking or attempt to haggle with the NFU on Monday .

Direct Line declined to quote 🤔

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm

Tried Direct Line again, quote was £1032.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Insurance

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:46 pm

DL were the most expensive for the i4 a year ago so I moved to Aviva. The meerkat quote for them this year was even worse than (by £200) accepting the renewal which made no sense at all.

I’ve only ever used ‘mainstream’ insurers, a principle reinforced after tother half used Sheila’s Wheels (owned by eSure it seems) who took months to sort out the X6 collision 6 years ago (got hit on a roundabout). The were cheap, but oh dear. Lost paperwork, unknown solicitors, lost dash cam video and had to be chased so many times to get in with things. The car was fixed quickly but never will they ‘grace’ one of ours again.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Insurance

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:52 pm

As much as it grieves me, I'm going to roll over and stay with the NFU :cry:

Yes i can get cheaper but the savings aren't enough to walk a new unknown path. Frustrating for sure :|

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Insurance

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm

I know what you mean!

StuBeeDoo

Insurance

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:10 am

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:52 pmAs much as it grieves me, I'm going to roll over and stay with the NFU :cry:
Yes i can get cheaper but the savings aren't enough to walk a new unknown path. Frustrating for sure :|
I'm the same. I do check for better quotes, but unless they are noticeably better - and from "known" insurers - I stay-put.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)