Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replace heater blower motor

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 am

Right.. Firstly this is not for the faint hearted. Not a hard job but tricky and methodicle.
My blower motor was worn out so a new one was required. You can test it by using a stick in the FSU void to tap the fins to see if it gets going.
Space is a must. All 4 doors need to be fully open at some point and obviously room for the dash to exit.
OK here goes hopefully in the right order as far as I remember. Some steps I didn't do but should have for easier access.
Move seats right back.
Undo front seat bolts.
Remove the lower footwell panels under the dash unplugging various lights and bits as you go.
Remove side carpet panels on center console and undo the screw either side holding it to floor.
Move seats forword.
Undo rear seat bolts.
Remove side carpet panels and 2 screws again at the base of centre console.
Lower steering wheel out and down.
Disconnect battery.
Remove seats.
Pry up airbag cover on dash, unplug airbag then unbolt it and remove.
Remove steering wheel airbag, wheel, cowling then undo 4 torx bolts so the stalk unit can be slid off and hang down.
Remove gear shift lever and cover.
Remove hinged arm rest.
Remove storage tray, hazard switch, parking brake cover ect to gain access to screws holding the console in.
Unplug any electrical items if needed. My car has rear AC and heated seats so there were a few at the back.
Remove radio head unit, centre air vent, climate panel and DSC switch panel.
Lift the rear of centre console and move it backwards as far as you can then wedge up the rear so it stays there.
Remove side A pillar trims.
Remove air vent above light switch then remove light switch.
Remove instrument cluster.
Remove glove box and knee panel under steering column. Again unplugging cables as you go.
Main dash screws are now accessible.
Lift out dash but beware of speaker wires as you go and disconnect.
Totally remove dash.
Locate plastic blower motor cover and unclip to remove.
Replace blower motor.
To test before you put everything back, refit airbags and loosely put in seats to plug in airbags then connect battery. If you have access to airbag reset on inpa or diagnostic then you don't need to do this step.
That's it.
In the words of the famous Haynes manual reassembly is the reverse of removal.
It took me about 5 hrs in total but I also cleaned everywhere and applied sound deadening to various exposed areas.
Easy really..
I would recommend having 2 people to get the dash out and put it back in. Can be done alone but it's fairly cumbersome.
Enjoy heat and cooled air.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 am

Well that kept you out of trouble for the morning feet up was it after lunch then was it lol.
Not a job i would tackle these days but thanks for the info it might come in handy one day i could print it out for whoever is doing the job.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 pm

I'm 56 yrs old now and it was OK for me. It's not a job I would relish in the future that's for sure but as a learning curve it's brilliant.
It's a hobby for me so that's OK.