Advice on engine failure..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Thu May 09, 2024 5:00 am

No it's not my X5..
We recently bought an Audi Q7 4.2tdi for the wife from a dealer. It's still under warranty but I fancied picking the brains on here.
All driving fine no problem until yesterday when I parked on the drive and I noticed oil coming from both tailpipes.. Not good. Upon lifting off the engine cover I was also greeted by the engine covered in oil. At the time there was no indication of anything wrong so I restarted it and after a few seconds the eml came on and a curly wire type light which I think maybe a glow plug light. It also started to run lumpy indicating a miss fire.
I called the dealer where we purchased it and he said get it to a garage for diagnosis and we can take it from there.
What do you think? I'm not sure I want to drive it.
I'm not a expert on Tdi engines but it seems pretty terminal to me with oil coming from the tailpipes. Something has let go and the oil has decided it doesn't want to stay around.
We have only had it a month so could we just reject the car for a refund to save any agro? I have a feeling the dealer has to attempt repairs forts though which is only going to drag on.
Thoughts.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu May 09, 2024 5:11 am

Send it back asap.
Don't no much about them but i know of one that is forever in the garage.
The last thing i remember failing on it was the brake servo and for some strange reason they put that inside the bell-housing and what a job.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu May 09, 2024 9:33 am

I dont think I'd be driving it anywhere. Surely, for the dealers' own sake, it should be transported away, preferably back to them for a refund.
If you drive it and the enging lets go, it has the potential to become a whole world of pain about liability.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 09, 2024 10:02 am

There’s a list of the most common failures here:

https://lifeonfour.co/engine-problems/a ... -problems/

Turbocharger would be a good bet as that will dump raw oil into the exhaust side. Definitely one for the dealer to collect, or the AA/RAC to transport to them if you have cover. Money back time methinks.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu May 09, 2024 5:37 pm

Id agree reject it if you can as time is running out , the longer you leave it the harder it will be , not your problem , having just experienced turbo failure this week on my old passat I can confirm it fills the exhaust with a lot of oil and a smokescreen James bond would be proud off , took 2 pints of oil out of the intercooler after only a further 1/4 mile of very slow driving till I got space to pull in and it wasn't going any further :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Do not even think about starting it again just get it recovered as very serious damage could be the result . The engine covered in oil is more likely to be careless filling than anything else unless a pipe has burst which is unlikely id have thought on a newer vehicle .

marti

Post by marti » Fri May 10, 2024 7:20 am

I concure, sounds like the turbo and as said dont drive it......