Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car stalled, black smoke Fuel injection on dash

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
DeeNuttyDJ

Post by DeeNuttyDJ » Mon May 27, 2024 12:23 pm

Helloooo! you lovely people
i'm back!

So... since last time, when my car had issues with starting that was all resolved
Radio issues, and LCM is all sorted
(after market radio installed got fed up)

Anywayyy!

back with another lovely issue with my problematic x5!

So when it first started i was crusing down the motorway at 70mph. went to overtake a car (so increased my speed a little to merge over)

upon doing so, just using kickdown. there was a hiccup car fired up Fuel Injection on the dash. tons of black smoke!
Ended up pulling over turning it off, then refired no issues and drove on.

Ever since then i avoided heavy acceleration. and drove it like a granny for days.

Upon comes the weekend (when i used it most)
Was traveling through town. to get parked for work, someone pulled out infront of me instead of me going into them or the car behind i hard accelerated around it, car then coughed.. and at the lights stalled ... i was like uhoh.....

Got it started, and running for about 20 seconds, then it conked out again. fuel injection popping up on dash. managed to get it moved again parked up it stalled, and then would not fire again (i carry a diagnostics computer in the door) so before it died out, i checked rail pressures while running which was running within spec high pressure pump rullled out thank gosh.

anyway, got a low fuel pressure code for the rail
4B90 - Rail pressure monitoring, Rail pressure too low during start
42E2 - Change Over Valve - Rail pressure control

Cleared these, but first one returned after cranking.

So i thought okay. this sounds like a inline pump related issue (as i have over half of a tank of fuel) so its not the lift pump.

Checked pressures today, and i'm getting a lovely 2.1 bar reading. As i've found online and based of peoples other issues with these it, needs to be 3.5/5.0 bar?

So i've ordered a inline pump and filter (which ive already changed before but... was a cheap filter ) bosch version ordered

Just really wanted to rant and see if anyone else has had a simular issue

Hope everyones well, on this bankholiday monday.

Kind Regards
Andrew

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 27, 2024 1:50 pm

Also probably worth looking at the fuel filter. Those often get ignored on service so could clog.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

DeeNuttyDJ

Post by DeeNuttyDJ » Mon May 27, 2024 2:09 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:50 pm Also probably worth looking at the fuel filter. Those often get ignored on service so could clog.

Was only changed a few k ago.. but didn’t think it was a decent filter so gone with a more expensive one to go with the new pump

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue May 28, 2024 5:48 am

I had the 4B90 on mine with the m57 it turned out to be 2 injectors leaking.
My car ran ok once started not bad to start from cold but a bugger to start hen hot.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue May 28, 2024 11:00 am

2.1 is far too low should be 3.5 to 4 bar from memory but as said injector leakoff could be the issue if the inline pump has already been changed .you want to get a leak off test done or smooth running test to see how they compare .

DeeNuttyDJ

Post by DeeNuttyDJ » Tue May 28, 2024 11:24 am

Leslie wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:00 am 2.1 is far too low should be 3.5 to 4 bar from memory but as said injector leakoff could be the issue if the inline pump has already been changed .you want to get a leak off test done or smooth running test to see how they compare .

Inline pump ain’t been done yet. This will be done this week along with fuel filter, injectors are all within spec ( this has been a issue for a year which eventually got worse )

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue May 28, 2024 11:30 am

Black smoke = too much fuel ??.
I would still try a leak off test.

DeeNuttyDJ

Post by DeeNuttyDJ » Tue May 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Alan Gunn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:30 am Black smoke = too much fuel ??.
I would still try a leak off test.
Only black smoked when fuel management kicked in. Already stated injectors are within spec, inline pump is the only thing that’s weak, awaiting parts it runs alright once it’s going, personally I’d expect a diesel to smoke anyway, but if it’s still heavy after all this I’ll do a leak off and replace any injectors that may be at fault which I don’t think is any atm

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue May 28, 2024 3:08 pm

What engine is it or did i miss that bit.

DeeNuttyDJ

Post by DeeNuttyDJ » Tue May 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Alan Gunn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:08 pm What engine is it or did i miss that bit.
3.0d

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue May 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Sorry I see its the filter only was changed not pump and filter , filter wont be faulty cheap or not but if replacing the pump id replace filter too as metal swarf might make its way out of the pump and into filter.

I've had inline pump failure on a 330d , same engine and setuo etc and just before it started surging when driving along every once in a while then just cut out after starting one day and wouldn't restart , a few taps on the floorpan at the pump and the pump started turning again but only briefly , the brushes wear out and are not replaceable.
The car certainly wont run without it :D

DeeNuttyDJ

Post by DeeNuttyDJ » Tue May 28, 2024 11:23 pm

Leslie wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:33 pm Sorry I see its the filter only was changed not pump and filter , filter wont be faulty cheap or not but if replacing the pump id replace filter too as metal swarf might make its way out of the pump and into filter.

I've had inline pump failure on a 330d , same engine and setuo etc and just before it started surging when driving along every once in a while then just cut out after starting one day and wouldn't restart , a few taps on the floorpan at the pump and the pump started turning again but only briefly , the brushes wear out and are not replaceable.
The car certainly wont run without it :D

Yeah cars been playing up for a year or so with this error gradually got worse and upon checking pressures on the pump that’s the breakdown in the system. Hopefully get it running this week fingers crossed

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed May 29, 2024 5:43 am

3.0d M57 ? or N my bet is the m.

DeeNuttyDJ

Post by DeeNuttyDJ » Wed May 29, 2024 5:25 pm

Alan Gunn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:43 am 3.0d M57 ? or N my bet is the m.
M57N

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 30, 2024 10:24 am

It’ll be the M57NTUD30. The N-series came out in model year 2011 (E70/71 and beyond) along with the 8-speed ZF transmission.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.