Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

General car related chat
Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Help with Winter Wheels

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 am

Guys, I am not saying staggered won't work, as they will.  But a narrower tyre will be more beneficial in the harshest conditions and I would think that Aberdeen can get pretty harsh. Therefore go narrow and leave the staggered set up for the good weather. 

On a side note, we have a couple of inches if snow today and saw a guy in his E53 with huge wheels, I am guessing 21 or even 22s struggling for grip.  Although I don't know the guy, I know he purchased the car this summer and wonder if he's only now finding out that a 4x4 still needs the right shoes.

Don

X Box

Post by X Box » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:35 am

[quote="X5Sport"]
I also have a staggered 19" winter set on my X6 and it's fine.

Not everyone seems to know about 'Snow Mode' either.......you just press the DSC button quickly.......which is supposed to help with traction in dodgy conditions.

Richard
[/quote]

Didn't know that. I take it this is for the x5 too? I've the staggered 19 set up too.
People buy horsepower but drive torque!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:43 pm

X Box.....It is.....just make sure it's a short press on the switch as a long one shuts the entire system down :)

Don.....I wasn't trying to suggest staggered were better......honest.... :)

No snow here, but my winter Pirelli set goes on 2moro.

R
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X Box

Post by X Box » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks Richard.
People buy horsepower but drive torque!

iriver

Post by iriver » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:41 pm

[quote="Nat"]
Hi,

Here we go.............I want to disagree a little with the narrower square set up advantage given. Its just my personal opinion & no death threats please................
I had the stagered set up in my E53 4.4.........255 /19 fronts and 285/19 rears. I went staggered as otherwise the car looks shit. On me 4.8iS E53 I had the same set up with a 35mm spacer on the rear , so the car looked great.
There is a truth that narrower tyres can have an advantage over wider tyres, the thinking here is that if the tyre spins, as its narrow it can dig down through the snow to the road surface below. However, winter tyres work differently to a normal tyre in that with a winter tyre, the snow gets itself into the tyre tread and the tyre  effectively becomes  a paddle ( think ols fashioned paddle steamer here ). Thus in severe snow the wider your tyre the more grip you will have. IMHO, I think you will find no effective difference whichever route you go. If it were me, I would get a set of 4.4 sport alloys ( tiger claw ) and stick the correct standard tyres as in 255 front and 285 rear.
I currently have an E70 and have pirelli scorpion ice and snow 275 fronts and 315 rear.
I am also sure plenty on here may well argue with me on my opinion on this , perhaps suggesting if width makes no difference why do bmw offer the 255 square set up as a winter choice ? Fair question, but if you delve a bit further into the bmw accessories catalogue you will see that they offer all the sizes , right up to 315 width on 20's. Obviously the smaller/narrower the tyre the cheaper it is and the greater your tyre choice.
I had Vredestein wintrac extreme on my E53, std staggered sizes and they were absolutely brilliant and the car still looked right.
Interestingly years ago I had 3 audi quattros, which had ABS which was switchable ( as in ON /OFF ) . The thinking here by audi ( and I agree ) was that  with the ABS OFF in snow it allowed the wheels to lock which would  cause a build up of snow in front of the tyre causing a snow plough effect which would stop you quicker than if you left the ABS ON. You dont see any cars today with ABS you can switch on and off.
There is always to sides to a coin. Good luck in your choice, whatever you choose, one thing I can gtee you is that winter tyres will make a big difference.

Regards,

Nat.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice Nat it is very much appreciated I think I have a better understanding and can now make the right decision.
Happy Owner

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

Post by AW8 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I merged the above as its that time of year when winter tyres are more discussed.

Took car to tyre shop to get wheels swapped to my winter set.........ended up doing it myself albeit easier with an air gun and sturdy trolley jack..........I still checked they were on firm using wrench afterwards

I had been keeping a keen eye on outdoor temps & weather before deciding today was the day for it.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:08 pm

I've changed my rubber too.
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 pm

[quote="535dboy"]
I've changed my rubber too.
[/quote]

Keep on topic 535  :))

I will have to do mine this weekend I guess.

Ready to catch my wheels again AW8?  :))
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 pm

[quote="pvr"]
Ready to catch my wheels again AW8?  :))
[/quote]

Have you not got a proper wheel trolley in that man cave?  Good grief, I mean really, a man of your standing.... :P

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Yeah, but it was much more fun to see AW8 with a WMB sign on his forehead  :))

It is all automated now - electric hoist and all.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

But you still need a monkey to catch them in the first place....... :))

celica

Re: Winter wheels

Post by celica » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:15 am

[quote="squeaky2"]
[/quote]

Wow the rear looks really skinny lol

Do people go for run flats or non run flats with winter wheel setup?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:30 am

Run flat on mine as that is what the factory offer.

Richard

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:37 am

Just a quick update on winter tyres and prices etc- my Vredesteins needed replacing after 3 years and while hunting out the best deals was surprised to see huge price hikes across the board for winter tyres. Tyremen, who used to be competitive on price albeit not as cheap as Camskill, are now massively overpriced in my opinion - the 255/55R18s are around £170 each now! 

Camskill stock levels I noted as very variable although this tends to be the case with them, and they have hiked up prices as well with the same tyre coming in at about £125. They are charging for courier now, albeit only £3 a tyre, but seem to use City Link which in our area are the worst of the worst so I would only order from them in a crisis!   

Best prices and value seemed to be from Tyreleader, who are based in Germany despite their .co.uk address - ordered Monday night, three tyres delivered yesterday via DPD, the 4th out for delivery today - and DPDgive an hour  timeslot for delivery so you don't waste all day waiting in.  The tyres were £117 each and delivery was free.    Pity that Rip Off Britain seems to have extended to the winter tyre market now and buying from Germany is so much cheaper!   
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:31 am

They're prices for all season RFTs are pretty good too....good find Condor.  :ok: :punk:

Richard