Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear bench solution - any interest?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Rear bench solution - any interest?

Post by snipez999 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:07 pm

http://youtu.be/rji4g6oMykc
Shamelessly nicked from xbimmers. a 450 usd part apparently.

I have a tame coach fitter who can source top quality leather (did some work for me on previous car). I will approach him regarding a centre seat (I have Individual slate leather) pad and see whether the price and quality of fit is worth offering as a group buy. An MOT-friendly lapbelt can be had off Fleabay for around 15 quid so should not be an issue; maybe just longer bolts needed to fit with the standard kit. Will post some pics up as and when cheers.
Certainly the option of a reasonably quick and safe change when I need it is very appealing

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Rear bench solution - any interest?

Post by Sanj » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 pm

That's a nice mod. :)

I'd go through a coach fitter too. They'll make that up for far less. Just sourcing the lap seatbelt or 3-point which would make it perfect (thinking if an E53 can have it and X6 surely should). Is the OEM 3-point?

Great find! :thumbsup:

I want one now! :x
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 pm

My car's going in week after next for them to get the centre section sized by the foam suppliers then they will imitate the BMW leather and stitch pattern. Decided on the MOT-friendly Securon 2 point lapbelt from Ebay as am more confident about installing longer mounting bolts on existing anchor points than I am about fitting a 3 point harness somewshere there wasn't one before. Hoping to have the finished article Friday week. Will post as many pics as I can. Once they have the pattern it should be a doddle to churn out a few more.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Not wishing to be a killjoy but I would check with insurance company re this.........

Worst case scenarios might be :

(i) They might refuse to cover if declared.
(ii) Assessor might refuse a claim if fitted, ( maybe especially relavant if centre seat occupied by 5ht passenger).

Don't get me wrong I would want this mod too if I had an X6, ( not something I will be worrying about for a good while if ever).

Also V5 wont relate to seating capacity of vehicle.

Maybe worth seeing how owners of seven seat overfinch Ranger Rover L322's deal with these issues albeit that product may have more official approval &/or industry/insurance acceptance.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Good point as V5 states 4 seater. How far MOT-approved lap belt, torqued to correct spec, would 'protect' you from a claim should you fit it and then have a 5 death total wreck one can only imagine.
At this stage I was considering a solution for the 'odd time when'. Cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:05 am

You'll probably have to go via The Department for Transport's Vehicle Certification Agency and get a special test approval certificate (an IVA I think it's called) to use it, even for the 'odd occasion'. By the time you've done all that it would probably be cheaper to buy all the OEM bits.

They could of course be really mean and ask you to undertake a series of crash tests :headbang: ..........I am joking!! :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Take it you don't want one then LOL

Minda

Post by Minda » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Nice idea in theory
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:29 pm

[quote=""snipez999""]Take it you don't want one then LOL[/quote]

Not really...... :D :D

I like it being a 4-seater. To be honest I never carried more than 3 passengers in the X5 and have only once had a full load in the X6. Usually it's just the two of us.

From comments I've seen on line, the 'pad' for the middle passenger is only really for very short journeys as it's damned uncomfortable. It's a good idea, but I'll just never use it. :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.