Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jacking X6, any hints/tips/no-nos?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Jacking X6, any hints/tips/no-nos?

Post by snipez999 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:51 pm

So my winter wheel/tyre set is out at Sheldons getting sprayed up. Hoping to fit on the weekend. I'll invest in a heavy duty jack and already have a windy gun, impact driver and torque wrench to do the biz on the wheelnuts. Any hints/tips on how to go about switching the wheels appreciated. For instance, had to change a rear on the wife's Q7 the other week and was unaware you needed to set the air suspension mode first. Anything similar on the X6? Also, should I jack up a corner at a time or use axle stands to do an axle at a time? Thanks.

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Jacking X6, any hints/tips/no-nos?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Don't do the rear axle. I saw a warning somewhere at as the X6 has this active GKN/ZF Driveline system at the back it should not be used for doing central jacking. Might have to be a corner at a time :x

If you can find any pictures of the underside - with all covers and shields - there might be something visible on them.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for the tip. If it's corner at a time I might be able to utilise my 2 tonne jack instead of forking out on a 3 tonne one too. Result.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Just found this image.....

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21 ... tall9.jpg/

I think jacking anywhere else but the lift points might be a No! then.. :?

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:10 am

Those Germans, so neat eh?! ;-)
Corner by corner it is then.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Oh what joy was had today as my detailer and myself set around swapping the wheels over.
2 tyre types were fitted to the wheels so we fitted the first 3 and moved to the last, looking to match tread patterns across each axle. Barsteward didnt want to go on so spent a fair bit of time gently coaxing it with a variety of tools and bodyparts. Eventually got it on. Car didnt look right though, and after a short drive to Halfords to pick up some supplementary tools I sussed that it was 2 tyre types *and* 2 wheel types - doh!!
So when the wheels were sprayed some galloot had fitted the tyres back on the wrong wheels.
I eventually managed to extract that troublesome front wheel, after gradual and gentle use of a 16oz mallet and lashing of lemonade, I mean WD40. Nice 1.5mm circle of ally accompanied the removal, launching itself from the hub as I took the wheel off. Hardly surprising when you consider front hubs are 74mm and rears 72.5mm. Car to go back to the garage for them to switch tyres over and fit spigot ring to that now wider rear hub flange.
Aside from that fun and games, the satin black wheels look well smart. In fact I may have my summer wheels sprayed up as well (bling bling).
Gone dark now but here's a pic anyway:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Glad you got it all sort of sorted. Had to have a front wheel off mine after I managed to find a .25" x 55mm steel pin in the tread. Not that the TPMS helped much. It's all very well reporting a sudden pressure loss in a tyre, but telling me which one would help! It's not easy to tell with RFTs and I would have thought a £60k car ought to have that ability. It's got everything else after all. All fixed although RFTs are not supposed to be repaired. I'm not arguing though. £17.65 is a lot better than £250.

the affected tyre was slightly warmer than the other three, but without a pressure tester that was the only clue.