Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

hankook vs toyo proxes.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
4.8isFred

hankook vs toyo proxes.

Post by 4.8isFred » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Neading to relplace both front tyres shortly, wondering which to opt for within my budget.

Good reviews on the toyo across the site i have found. But can anyone comment on the hankook tyres?

the hankook's are comming in a slightly cheaper than the Toyo's.

Tyres are 275/40 r20.

The toyo's do seem to have gone up in price acording to some prices i have read on across the forum.

If members could recommend a different tyre to go with that would be even better.

Thanks,

Fred.

Buster

hankook vs toyo proxes.

Post by Buster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Had the toyo's on my E53 before I sold it and also have them on my E70 now, great tyre for the price. Think I was about £650 for both front and rear on the E53 back in may.

My mate runs hankooks on his E53 and has done for the past 4 years and swears by them for all round performance and wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaunos

Re: hankook vs toyo proxes.

Post by shaunos » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 am

Hi,

After much research and searching around, I put a set of Hankook Ventus (295/45/20) on my E53 a few months ago and so far I have been very happy with them in the wet and dry.... hopefully I wont need to snow test them this year!! :)

~S.

Powercat

Post by Powercat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:41 am

Budget !
I bought two Nexen 225 /50/R19 for £100 each including fitting and balanced :D
after 9 months of use Ther still look great and no problems at high speed :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
02 x5 3.0d auto cat D

Slats

Post by Slats » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 pm

I had the Hankook ventus on my 20s previously and had a very abrupt stop one wet morning due to a panic braker in front of me and I can say they did not let me down, as a direct result of this and being a bit of a 'better the Devil you know' type bloke I thought that at £160 each, they would be more than adequate on my 22s for carrying the family around, my dad has the Toyos on his RR and doesn't complain about them, they have quite an eye-catching tread pattern which is noticeable on the big sizes if that bothers you, the ventus are a little more plain looking, so I guess it was looks/ price dependant for me, but having binned the not very old Nexen Roadians that came with the wheels due to them crumbling inside (despite looking fine outside) I think there is a difference in the quality of materials used to make the real cheapie brands, I'd rather buy a good warranted part worn than some of the cheap brands, and although large diameter tyres are now a lot better value due to competition in the market, you do still get what you pay for, for example, the michelins are a step up again and are amongst the best but double the price better? I didn't think so, so mid range it was for me and I'm a happy man. :D

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 pm

i dont buy part worn i buy new and sell my part worn last 22" tyre ibought was £100 fitted with discount vat off etc, i then sold my old tyre with 3mm over 90% of tyre if your lucky for £69 on ebay!!
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:12 am

The Toyos get the overall best reviews and quite a few folk on here use them.....I was about to change my 4.8is 20's to Toyos, but then got an excellent price on Vredestein Sessantas, which were also on my list (but pricier than the Toyos by about £100 for four). My local tyre stockist dropped the Vredie price to almost what the Toyos were, so I've gone with them and absolutely love them - they have an unusual tread pattern which looks great and on raod performance is excellent - but if I didn't have them, I'd have gone for the Toyos. I really disliked the ride on the Diamaris and of course the price is ridiculous.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Hammy

Post by Hammy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:04 am

I'm a big fan of Vred Sessanta's, been using them for several years on the Volvo.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:46 am

[quote=""Powercat""]Budget !
I bought two Nexen 225 /50/R19 for £100 each including fitting and balanced :D
after 9 months of use Ther still look great and no problems at high speed :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/quote]

I had to budget last time and bought nexans and they have been fine in all weathers and at all speeds ;) However the road noise is awfull though and if being honest (and having more wonga :lol: ) i would probably go for the toyo's.
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Powercat

Post by Powercat » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi x555,
I think i know what you mean about the noise though it's a bit hard to compare it since i put those tyres on shortly after getting the car :yu:
And I hate spending unnecessary money on any vehicle, normally I rely on the stereo for drowning out any road noise :driving:
02 x5 3.0d auto cat D

jas328sport

Post by jas328sport » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Oops

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 pm

[quote=""Powercat""]Hi x555,
I think i know what you mean about the noise though it's a bit hard to compare it since i put those tyres on shortly after getting the car :yu:
And I hate spending unnecessary money on any vehicle, normally I rely on the stereo for drowning out any road noise :driving:[/quote]
In that case I think you should buy one of my sub enclosures lol :poke: :rofl: .......shameless I know :oops:

4.8isFred

Post by 4.8isFred » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:07 am

I have been very busy since i posted this thread, hench the delay in replying to the great feedback, thanks people.

In all fairness there doesn't seem to be a majour difference in the two brands i was looking into replacing other than cost. My main concerns would be performance in wet/dry conditions and as less road noise as possible and the main would be the ride feel. Giving its only a 40mm profile i know it wouldn't be as soft as ride on say a 60mm profile tyre.

Also in my findings the Dimarias tyres which are on the front at present dont seem to get the vote over the lesser so branded tyres in which i have mentioned to replace with.

Just unsure which to go with really as there is an £60/70 difference in overall cost with the two brand of tyres.

Really good views on both so i'm at a loose end still :roll: .

The tyre outfit do have the Han's in ready to be fitted. Speaking to them the other day the toyo proxes are discontinued or along those lines and dont have them in stock but do have toyo st1's which are the latest toyo tyre or some name like that.

If i knew for sure which would give the more cusioned ride from the two different brand tyres thats what i would go with.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Fred.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am

Never used hans so can't comment but have used most others inc mitch's ;) toyos nexans :oops: brigestone etc etc and the toyos were a great allrounder :thumbsup:

Waka

Post by Waka » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:34 pm

[quote=""4.8isFred""]The tyre outfit do have the Han's in ready to be fitted. Speaking to them the other day the toyo proxes are discontinued or along those lines and dont have them in stock but do have toyo st1's which are the latest toyo tyre or some name like that.[/quote]

Toyo Proxes ST (ST1?) have not been discontinued. There do seem to be Toyo Proxes ST2, but I've only seen them for sale in the States. Are they only recommending tyres they've got in stock? ;)

I've got no experience of Hankook, I've got Proxes ST all-round, and given the grip and wear over the past year, I can't see the point in spending more on a tyre.
Curr. - Silverstone II F85
Prev. - E70 4.0D M Sport
E53 3.0D Sport Facelift - Estoril Blue