Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlights upgrade - non Xenon!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
finnie

Post by finnie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Ok so the car didn't have one of my desires which was xenon lights. The lights are ok but what have folks done to brighten things up a bit. Any lamps in particular that are good?

Thanks

Finnie

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Headlights upgrade - non Xenon!

Post by Sanj » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Try www.hids4u.co.uk - they've been used by forum members and no complaints. Can be expensive though...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 pm

www.hids4u.co.uk are good, but you can get cheaper on ebay.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:56 am

I have had good service from Hids-Direct in the past.

Not a fan of ebay for things like this just because I'm wary of cheap products. Would much rather buy from somewhere I know someone has had good service i.e a recommendation from here...

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

kena

Post by kena » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:06 am

[quote=""Turks""]I have had good service from Hids-Direct in the past.

Not a fan of ebay for things like this just because I'm wary of cheap products. Would much rather buy from somewhere I know someone has had good service i.e a recommendation from here...

Turks.[/quote]

I've also had good service from these. Replaced a faulty part without any hassle :thumbsup:

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Likewise. Very good and also replaced a faulty part with no problems.

Would suggest getting modified bulb holders so that you don't need to cut the wires to feed through the existing bulb holders.

Makes the whole fitting take about 30 minutes rather than the 2 hours it took me the first time I did a HID upgrade.

I've got a spare set of these if interested. Also have some pics if the end result if you want to see where the ballast will fit.

Really need to do an "how to", but just haven't got round to it.

Cheers

Tony
Current:
57 Reg 3.0D SE Monaco Blue

Previous:
06 Reg 3.0D Le Mans with Pano Roof
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:45 am

With regards to not trusting eBay for cheaper parts etc, these hid kits are exactly the same as the ones used via hids4u, they are all made abroad and I can assure the markup on hids prices are huge. Save yourself a fortune and purchase a set off eBay. I've fitted three of these sets to 3 different cars now, each of a different supplier from eBay and never ever had a problem. All you need to do is buy a h7 hid kit with warning canceller resistor packs included in the bundle and you are away!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Out of the three sets you have bought off ebay, how many have you returned? My guess is none...

It is when you try to return stuff through ebay that you can run into problems. Established business' with fixed address and phone numbers is where my money would go for peace of mind.

If I didn't have the money to buy from a place like Hids-Direct... I would probably save my money all together and live with what I have.

Just my thoughts.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

finnie

Post by finnie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm thinking thats a bit much for me right now, I think I'd rather look into just brighter bulbs for now, any suggestions?

Minda

Post by Minda » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 pm

I ended up getting some bulbs from mstyle, see some pic's in the thread below, although the pic's aint great, it looks good in real life

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=402
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Turks, as I said, i have never had a problem with any of the sets I have purchased through eBay, so thus never returned a set no purely for the fact they were reliable as any other which Hids direct offer. As long as you purchase from a power seller with good feedback who is a uk supplier you are laughing. My first set fir my old e36 convertible, I questioned something whilst fitting, and the firms number was on eBay, gave them a ring and they were more than happy to talk me through the install. So disagree (kindly) to purchasing these kits via hids direct as quite experienced with these things now and as I said before they are all coming from the same place I.e china japan etc. Cheers

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm

What kit on Ebay could you buy to have both dipped and main beam as HID?
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d Sport Auto, 168 style 20's, silver 4.8IS grille, tinted back windows, black leather with titanium trim, sat nav, PS2 media center with hard drive, TV's in headrests, TV in motion, Dice Silverline and a few others toys!

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Finnie, have you tried Teddy? He's got replacement bulbs and HID kits.

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:49 am

Drb, you would have to buy two kits, two h7 kits, to have dipped and main beam functionality. The only other way of getting dipped and main is to have h4 xenon kits, as these are bi xenon, with a solenoid activated shroud which moves up and down for hi and low beam, which moves a guard which is in front of the bulb. But to fit these you would have to modify your bulb holders which would be complete nightmare so wouldn't bother. Just get the two h7 kits and that's it sorted then. However they do say as xenons take so long to initially start up and warm up it is suggested that it's not the best for main beam functions, as they are on off so often, plus for flashing people etc, it's not good for the bulbs. Plus trust me you really don't need main beam kit as the low beams light is un believable!! Just buy a colour matching ice White halogen ie Phillips ice White bulb to match on main If that is why you are wanting main also

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:22 am

Wrong thread (edited)

Last edited by BL02WAS on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.