Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door Handle Fix (E53)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
pvw10

Re: Door Handle Fix (E53)

Post by pvw10 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:42 am

My drivers door handle failed two days ago, i dont have the knowledge you guys have so to an Indy it went. Frame thing was £62.00, 1.25 hours labour and total bill about £152.00. :headbang:
3.0d Sport. Xenons,Tv/sat,Blinds,DVD Headrests,sidesteps,mudflaps,DSP,Walnut trim,softer leather,heated seats,remap,automatic,Oval exhaust upgrade, death ray and rockets.
Previous car; E46 M3 Convertible SMG.

tombs

Post by tombs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Great write up, replaced my drivers door handle carrier all looked as it should apart from another connection just under the door rest, looks like another light thats connected.

gizmo07

Post by gizmo07 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:01 am

Hi Guys great right up but have had some problems with electrics.

Followed the procedure and it worked great was exactly the same problem as the picture of the door carrier so fixed it with a cable tie.
Connected everything back up and now there is a problem with the driver side electrics.

Before the fix I had been holding down the key to open all the windows and open from the inside, Now the doow works perfectly from the outside, but when I use the fob to unlock the car,,,,,, all doors unlock except the drivers side,

The electric windows dont work from the driver side console except the window for the driver side. all the other windows will open but from there door panel not the driver side console, electric mirrors dont work anymore either,

I checked the fuses for the central locking 20 24 and 60 i think and they are all fine.

After replacing the fuses, the seatbelt warning chime now comes on. There is nothing on the driver seat and my seatbelt is connected it will go off after about 3 - minutes of driving,

Has anyone else had the same problem or any ideas of what I need to do,

The connections where made back I am going to pull the door off and check the connections again in the next day or so, but I am 99.9999999% sure all was connected correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and once again great post saved my self alot of money thanks to you guys except the bloddy 5p for the cable tie :)))))) ha ha

Cheers Guys

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:28 am

Welcome to the forum.

I'd check the connections tomorrow. But did you leave the car to reset itself (15 minutes or so)?

Never had the problem though, pure speculation.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Ubatoid

Post by Ubatoid » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Most excellent photo story Sanj, most helpfull. If I may be so bold as to add a couple of pictures that may be of assistance to anyone else doing this repair....

This is another viewof the location of the screw holding the lock barrel in place.....

This is the position the handle needs to be to dis-engage the lugs. Rotate anti-clockwise and pull straight out. I found when re-fitting, it helped a great deal to push the mechanism from inside the door to aid re-engaging the lugs.
Feel free to add these to your original post Sanj if you think they will help.
2002 4.4 cooking on gas

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Thank you mate and added with your permission! Just don't delete or change the link to the pics in your Photobucket account otherwise we'll lose the images...

Nice one and glad it helped! :thumbsup:

Reckon they'll be a few more using this thread this winter! :roll:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

tombs

Post by tombs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Haven’t been on here for a while so I feel a bit of an advice "tart" for asking if the rear doors are the same set up as the front? The rear passenger door handle no longer opens the door, can open the door from the inside. I'm thinking it’s probably the carrier, but the handle is permanently ajar on the outside so maybe something else?

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Yes typical symptoms of a carrier failure ....handle not sitting down properly.
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

tombs

Post by tombs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Bugger, oh well at least having repaired the front door carrier I have an idea of what needs doing, just need it to stop raining!

jamesturner

Post by jamesturner » Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi,

I am today trying to do the afore-mentioned however seem to be struggling to remove door card from the top near window. How do you go about removal with the black lock/unlock still in place. Are they poppers still or something different ?. Dont want to break anything.

Look forward to some help guys.

regards Jt

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 pm

front door or rear?
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

jamesturner

Post by jamesturner » Mon May 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi

Front door drivers side

Jt

tombs

Post by tombs » Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm

It's the top part of the door card you need to pull up and out, it kind of pops off...

tombs

Post by tombs » Mon May 28, 2012 2:12 pm

So...after watching my little girl jump over her little brothers toddlers rear seat far to many times I decided it was about time I repaired the carrier on the rear door. Very similar procedure as run through by Sanj & Ubatold on the front door but with no airbag to worry about. What you do need to do though is unscrew these 3 bolts to enable the carrier to removed past the door lock that gets in the way, once this is done its pretty straightforward.

Unlike the front door carrier where the spring mechanism had stopped working the rear door carrier had some sort of metal fatigue as the hole where the handle bolt goes through had sheared:Image

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:16 pm

With it finally being a nice day I got around to replacing my drivers side carrier.

All is done but I had to do it without removing the window control unit and by having to balance the door card.  So my question is - how do you remove the wiring connector from the window control unit? Two of them were simple and had the lever release, the third...well, I'm stumped ::)!