Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door Handle Fix (E53)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
DougieV8

Re: Door Handle Fix (E53)

Post by DougieV8 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Had the same issue today while fixing my jammed closed door - see my thread "door wont open" in general E53 forum section.

Anyway i figured it out eventually as I had no option - as forcing door card out of a jammed shut door! - first two are easy with clip back and pop up, the third black block style one is the first of this style i have seen. There is a section that slides out at bottom and pops the connector up and out. I wish I had taken a picture! While you were fiddling about with a screw driver you may have prodded behind it? It is at the leading open edge of the unit and has 3 holes in it vertically with middle one wider, stick a screw driver in it and pull forward, it will slide 10mm or so the whole block will pop up.

Sorry for poor description but give it a wee try for sake of it and it will make sense - honest!
Last edited by DougieV8 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 X5 4.4i Sport

thedweeb

Post by thedweeb » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Nice one Sanj. Had my handle go last week.Used this How to, to get in the door. Not able to fix using the tie wrap but fitted new carrier.Spot on. :)
Black with Cream Pre-Facelift 3.0d sport.

joncorry

Post by joncorry » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:25 pm

A massive thanks for this thread! After a year of a broken handle I fixed it tonight using this guide, a lot of swearing later and its done.

philip600

Post by philip600 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi, just like to add my thanks for the time taken to do this write up & pics, great help.
Everything went according to the description apart from I could not get the door card off, all the poppers came out & fasteners along the top ( these just pull towards you ) but the barbed bracket that holds the door card in the centre at the point where the pull handle is would not budge. I ended taking off the handle. To do this, prise the plastic trim off the handle, you will find one torque type screw at the top but the nut it fastens into is not captive so I reached up & held the 10mm nut behind with a socket while my Son udid the screw. The bottom of the hande is held by a 10mm nut ( srew is captive ), again I just used a socket & undid this, the handle will then come off & allow the door card to come off easier & leave the carrier in place, you can then undo this from the car & remove the barbed bracket, fasten the bracket back onto the door card & then when putting it back together it just pushes in. I opened the barbs up a little to ensure they gripped.
It looks like it's designed to slot out ( can't remember if this was up or down ) but it's difficult to do this while keeping the door poppers from re-engaging. At least my way there is no risk of it snapping the plastic part or the door handle light connector when it suddenly gives way.
Hope this is of some help.
Phil.
2005 3.0d Le Mans auto - Now gone :-( but replaced with an Audi A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition 177PS :-)
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet - NOW SOLD.
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s in Mica Yellow.

entropy

Post by entropy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

ah she's starting to break my heart! just had pay out for all rear bushes to be replaced and a ball joint at the front! plus 4 new tyres and now the handle has gone.

how long did it you guys to do this? I struggle with Ikea furniture so not sure if i want to attempt it.

BTW 4 new rear bushes were £492. £122 for parts plus 6.5 hrs of labour at £45. does this sound fair? I quite like the garage but not sure how they stack up price wise. they are a BMW indy.

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:49 am

That price for rear bush replacement doesn't sound too bad. Quite a bit of labour involved and the use of a special tool to do the job.
Handle fix is quite tricky and you need to be careful removing the door card so as not to damage it. Quite a fiddly job getting to the mechanism and replacing/fixing it depending on whats broken. I don't think an Indy should charge too much as the job is not too difficult if you have done it a few times - as they will have :)

4 new tyres - ouch :o
x6 M50d

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm

many thanks to sanj for this write up!  :beer:

just had my drivers door handle let go on new years eve, luckily could still open from inside.

after following the advise given i had my carrier out in an hour or so (VERY FIDDLY JOB INDEED!)
mine had broken at the usual place so ive fitted the largest cable tie i could slip round the mechanism, and after another hour, all fitted back and working  :D.
NOW to see how long the cable tie will last before i need to delve deep into my wallet for the proper replacement part  :blink:

cheers guys!
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Well done buddy!

Keep a saved search on eBay too.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Update--- cable tie repair lasted one day!  :blink:
i was left high and dry unable to open door from inside or out!!  :'(
i had to part remove door card with door closed, and rip my hand to shreds trying to get in behind door card to fiddle about with lock mechanism to eventually free the door.

lock carrier stripped out again and the cable tie has held but it just wont allow enough travel of the unlock mechanism to pull the cable that opens the lock far enough.
£80 lighter at stealers for new carrier and door opens sweeter than ever now. the springs in the new carrier feel much stronger giving a very positive unlock now.

oh well, it was worth a try  ;)
Last edited by fenj66 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm

That's just it - you can get lucky or not so...

Jeegnesh's lasted about 6 months, Imy's still going after 2 months (I think). And it's always the drivers that goes (used most). Poor design...

Really like to know how you got that card off with the door closed.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
[/quote]
Pry bar & Angle Grinder...... >:D

And a 1st Aid kit handy..... :-[
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 pm

[quote="Sanj"]

[/quote]

as i didnt have much choice it was a bit of brute force really being ready to accept some damage.
got drivers seat as much down and back as possible to give maximum room.
put drivers window fully down.
undid the 4 card retaining screws as normal.
unpopped as many plastic retaining poppers as was possible (all except a couple near door mirror corner).
slight lift and pull of the card to release some of the top edge retaining clips.
this gave enough room to pull back card and just get a hand down behind card through open window to unclip interior door pull cable.
card could now be rotated anticlockwise enough to get hand to power switch connectors for windows and unclip them.
from here the only thing stopping the card coming out nicely was the door speaker which sticks out just too far.
this is where the damage was done - the final 2 poppers near the door mirror corner were sacrificed to rotate and pull the card out completely.
i also snapped off the tiny clear plastic orange lamp holder from near the door pull handle, but that could have been avoided really with more patience!
with card out the way i removed the power window switches and connected back to the wiring to let me put the window back up.
remove 3 bolts from airbag and move out of way.
hand in through foam liner to jiggle everything you can think of until door finally sprang open!

plasters and bandages applied to very cut up hand!! :cry1: :doctor:

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi,
My drivers door outer handle has giver up the ghost. After two weeks of reaching through from the back I've had enough and am going to replace the carrier. My question is where is the best place to get this? From a stealer or there are ones on ebay for around £45. Would that be false economy due to quality, buy cheap, buy twice? I don't mind paying dealer prices as long as I'm getting what I'm paying for if you know what I mean.

Cheers

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:51 pm

its hard to tell what exactly your going to get on ebay etc. they all claim to be "quality parts"  :D
with this part in particular and the trouble it can cause if/when it breaks again, i thought i would go for the dealer option so hopefully, i wont have all the trouble associated with it going again..

james8whippy

Post by james8whippy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm

I thought the same Scotty, Did mine last week as it snapped in the cold. I went for the stealer option of £78 in the end as it came with a 2 year warranty so that kinda persuaded me. Good Luck!